Ho ho, Guess Who's Touring With Opeth Again.....

Opeth is not even close to mainstream. They're underground, just not obscurely underground.

How bout this...they're mainstream within the underground...:err:

you guys are just scared that Opeth will get popular. oh noes.

so what if they bust out mega mainstream. so what if teenage morons (and adult morons alike) start getting crazed over them. so what if they don't really "get" it. it's just more money, publicity, and artistic freedom for Opeth.

which means more quality music from them for us who DO care.

Opeth's video for "Windowpane" has been featured on Headbanger's Ball.

this has nothing to do with me worrying about opeth "selling out", i am confident that they won't compromise their sound--this is about them being part of a crappy tour, they do not belong with all these trendy metalcore bands...unearth excepted. i like unearth.

Silent Song said:
you guys are just scared that Opeth will get popular. oh noes.

so what if they bust out mega mainstream. so what if teenage morons (and adult morons alike) start getting crazed over them. so what if they don't really "get" it. it's just more money, publicity, and artistic freedom for Opeth.

which means more quality music from them for us who DO care.
I agree with Gunhaver.

It is nearly impossible for Opeth to become mega mainstream without changing the way they write their music. They would need to cut their song lengths by more than half, and start sounding like shit to appeal to the masses. There's a reason why most mainstrem music is mediocre...it's because the industry encourages it. That's why now most of us correlate commercial mainstream music with shit.

Opeth are extremely well known. We're not talking a "Britney Spears" well known, but they're much more popular than just about any other metal band that doesn't move with the modern mallcore or metalcore crowds these days. They're far from underground, but at the same time they're certainly not mainstream. They're just a very popular metal band.

Apprentice's Master said:
I don't think Opeth is "extremely" well known...Metallica, Pantera, Maiden, Led Zeppelin are "extremely" well known. Not Opeth.

...well no shit, everyone and their grandma has at least HEARD of them! :lol:
opeth are considered some type of "extreme" metal, and of that genre, they are quite well known. A LOT of people into metal, have heard or heard OF opeth.

deliverance said:
...well no shit, everyone and their grandma has at least HEARD of them! :lol:
opeth are considered some type of "extreme" metal, and of that genre, they are quite well known. A LOT of people into metal, have heard or heard OF opeth.
Of course people who listen to extreme metal has heard of Opeth. That's like saying if a Hilary Duff fan ever heard of Lindsay Lohan. :erk:

I'm talking about the general population...not everyone you meet and see out there is a metal head. But even non-metal heads have heard/listened to those bands I mentioned previously. I don't think that's the case with Opeth, yet.

Whatever...if kids can't grasp the fact that Opeth isn't underground because it'll hurt their "look at me I'm so underground I like Opeth" fecade, then too bad.

This will be the metalcore sausagefest of the year...I'm better off at Ozzfest. Thing is, this show is only like 30 bucks and I get to see Opeth, so count me in. I wonder how the crowd will react to Opeth....I'm sure there will be many Opethians in there by the time Opeth comes on.

Apprentice's Master said:
Of course people who listen to extreme metal has heard of Opeth. That's like saying if a Hilary Duff fan ever heard of Lindsay Lohan. :erk:

I'm talking about the general population...not everyone you meet and see out there is a metal head. But even non-metal heads have heard/listened to those bands I mentioned previously. I don't think that's the case with Opeth, yet.

i wanna fuck LL pretty hard.