Holiday ideas please

Oh, and by cheap, I don't mean $20, I just mean not four figures. :) We blew a SHIT LOAD of cash on flights and luxury hotels, bridge walks yada yada yada, back in April/May, really can't be doing that sort of thing again. Probably won't even go outside of Bris Vegas, but it's nice to dream. :)

Not $20 but not four figures eh...

You can get pub accommodation in Byron Bay for $30/night.
Pick up a small tin of varnish for about $15 from Bunnings on the way there.
Allow $10-15/night for pizzas.
Spend most of the weekend sniffing varnish until you think you're in Italy, then eat the pizza to complete the trip.
Overall you should expect to keep the entire trip under $200-250 including food, accommodation and transport.

We blew a SHIT LOAD of cash on flights and luxury hotels, bridge walks yada yada yada, back in April/May, really can't be doing that sort of thing again. Probably won't even go outside of Bris Vegas, but it's nice to dream. :)
If you're into that kind of thing you can also do the Hobo Walk between Queen St Mall and Fortitude Valley on Thursday nights from 11pm.

Not $20 but not four figures eh...

You can get pub accommodation in Byron Bay for $30/night.
Pick up a small tin of varnish for about $15 from Bunnings on the way there.
Allow $10-15/night for pizzas.
Spend most of the weekend sniffing varnish until you think you're in Italy, then eat the pizza to complete the trip.
Overall you should expect to keep the entire trip under $200-250 including food, accommodation and transport.

yeah, my wife is from lismore and byron bay has some pretty cool aspects to it. The point where the lighthouse stands is the most easterly point in australia, and also she tells me there is a beach where the sun sets over the water. Havent seen it, but would love to. The thought does my head in a bit though.

yeah, my wife is from lismore and byron bay has some pretty cool aspects to it. The point where the lighthouse stands is the most easterly point in australia, and also she tells me there is a beach where the sun sets over the water. Havent seen it, but would love to. The thought does my head in a bit though.

About 30min drive south is Ballina, which is also really nice, and much less 'hippy-ish'. They also argue they have the most easterly point in Australia, but rather having a lighthouse there from memory it's just a rock platform....

I heard from people who did the Great Ocean Rd recently that it gets really crowded vehicle wise these days, and being behind a 'slow' driving can frustrate the shit out of you, even if you do get to see more of the ocean....

If you want to stick around Brisbane, have you ever been to Fraser Island? Not sure what time of the year you guys are going but it's pretty nice for swimming and whatnot. Lots of 4WDing though, and it's a good 4 hours away. Might want to spend more than a weekend there to make it worthwhile. If you want to head south, Springbrook is really nice too just for a place to chill out. It's rainforesty, easy to do in a weekend and there's a great fudge store!

You could take the air train up to Cairns or something. Spend a few days sweltering it up there.

OR you could head to South Australia and do the winery thing for a few days. Barossa Valley is awesome.

Seals and penguins are awesome.

We were thinking of going to Townsville to see the reef. We're heading over March/April.

Seals and penguins are awesome.

We were thinking of going to Townsville to see the reef. We're heading over March/April.

Was just in Townsville, went to the reef. Beware, it's a bit of a trip to get on the reef (1.5 hours by boat), so if you get motion sickness you might be better off going to Cairns, where there's more trips runnign and shorter travel times to the reef.. I got motion sickness when I went and it was fkin horrible, I was out of it for days. I did snorkle for a little though, and the reef is awesome - but if I was going to do it again, would definitely go to Cairns.

Nothing much else to do in TOwnsville... Paluma is a really nice world heritage area 1.5hrs north,lots of little waterfalls and creeks and stuff. But you could fill a weekend up with the reef and then Paluma.

It's horrible getting sick on a boat. I went on a fishing trip for a few hours in Kenya (as one does) and couldn't wait to get off the fuckin thing and lie on the beach. Townsville is pretty nice to hang around. That spider up there looked pretty scary!

Down here you don't even have to go to Philip Island to see penguins; they hang around on the rocks in St Kilda as well.

Yeah I saw that spider on the news - awesome stuff :)

Is Cairns where the Daintree is too? My aussie geography is shot to fuck.

Ahh Atherton is not too far geographically from Cairns from memory. Cairns is way better touristy type spot than fucking Townsville, so goto Cairns, trust your mate Southy.....trust me *shakes fist*