Hollywood, Key Club Review

armenianmetal

New Metal Member
Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just a quick review of the show.

7:30 Lords of Manor opened, good performance, passed out about 50 cd's. Two girl musician/singers which was cool.

8:15 Queensryche cover band begins play but didnt play any Queensryche songs. I dont know what the deal was with this band and whether they were actually the Queensryche cover band, but they had a real good guitarist.

9:00 Devin's band comes out. Starts out with sticking his ass in someones face in the front row and eventually loses all respect from everyone and eventually gets a good share of booing.

9:00 A flash and make-out session between two girls above the pit floor which had half of their clothes off, followed by a top and bottom half flash session toward the pit where the fans which were happily providing encouragment through continuous cheering and wistling were.

10:00 Symphony X takes stage, with the crowd going wild, and put on a great performance as usual with the same setlist.

1:00 After the show all of the SymX band members came out and signed autographs. I got autographs from all the members on my drumhead.

All in all a great Symphony X show with great sound combined with the usual elements you would expect in Hollywood.

Peace,
D

Well, you wouldnt have been disappointed. It was good enough for the drum tech, he was taking pictures of it. Another funny thing is that it was directly across from Russell Allen's parents too. They were eventually stopped by security.

We aren't a QR tribute band. However, my drummer also happens to play in "Empyre", a local Queensryche tribute, and he neglected to change his bass-drum head for the gig. and i'll be chatting with him about that. ;)

anyway, that was my band at 8:30, and that guitarist you heard was a guy named Dave Bates. you can find out more about him at http://www.totalguitar.net

I was pretty happy with his performance too. :D

Wow, I've never seen anything like what Devin did onstage. I mean, I know a few people were being jerks, but it happens at many shows. He was over-reacting quite a bit. Must say, it was fairly entertaning to watch, though

what did devin do exactly? can someone provide details of what happened? and how it went down?

He cussed out the crowd quite a bit, flipped people off, and grabbed his dick. After this he played a really long guitar solo to piss people off when they were chanting "symphony". He said he was thinking of leaving the stage after the third song, but decided to play a solo instead "really fucking long" as he put it. I think the solo lasted for at least 10 minutes.

Then he cussed out the crowd some more, made fun of L.A. and made fun of symphony x a bit and progressive music in general: "You like progressive? I'm so progressive I suck cock for crack money" He really said that last one too.

Bet23 said:
what did devin do exactly? can someone provide details of what happened? and how it went down?
Well, at the Santa Ana show a couple of my friends were playing Hangman while Devin was performing. I just stood there with my arms crossed because I hate Devin Townsend, but I didn't boo him or anything. At the end of that show, he thanked everyone "Except for you guys down here" - pointing to my friends and I. I flipped him off and that was that.

Hollywood, however, had a much more dramatic reaction to DTB. My friends were playing hangman again, and Devin commented on it, and then proceeded to stick his ass right in Robbie's face. We laughed about it, because it was funny, and because Devin Townsend is so full of himself. He continued with crotch-grabbing and just being an overall prick. After a while he got noticeably pissed off, and started yelling at the audience, and after one last (shitty) song, he went off stage. Everyone booed him when he came back out to get some of his equipment. It was pretty funny. He's such a moron.

At the Santa Ana show he played for almost an hour, but at the LA show we managed to cut his performance down to a little over 30 minutes. Thank god!

Those flashing chicks were pretty hot, too. They began just feeling on each other, and then making out and taking off shirts. Then on of them gave an ass-and-cooter shot for everyone, and then security had to do their thing, and it stopped. Oh well, a nice break while waiting for SX.

I got one of MJR's picks during the first show, and had him sign it after that, and got all the band members to sign my booklets. At the Hollywood show I got a setlist from Lepond. Now I get to add MJR's pick to Jens Ludwig, Weike, and Marcus Siepen's guitar picks. w00t!

If you were at the Hollywood show, I was the over-enthusiastic long-blonde-haired guy wearing the Masterplan T-Shirt at the center-right of the stage, who Russel said he "remembered from last night." I was yelling and shouting the whole time. I drove all the way down from San Francisco to see those shows, so you can't blame me for trying to make the most out of it.

I must say it was one of the more enjoyable shows I've been to.

Curufin said:
If you were at the Hollywood show, I was the over-enthusiastic long-blonde-haired guy wearing the Masterplan T-Shirt at the center-right of the stage, who Russel said he "remembered from last night." I was yelling and shouting the whole time. I drove all the way down from San Francisco to see those shows, so you can't blame me for trying to make the most out of it.
I remember you at the Santa Ana show. I was in the group of 5 with you waiting to go to the bus to see the band. Hope you had a safe trip back home.

Hey Curufin, I think you were right in front of me. I was wearing the SymX beanie right in back of you. I got a couple of good swipes of your enthusiastic hair in my face but it was all in good fun. I think i beat you on how far I drove. I came down from Davis, but I was visiting family and friends for thanksgiving at the same time so I can't say that it was only for SymX.

Sevenstring, thanks for clearing up the confusion. I was expecting Leslie Spring to come up, but I didnt really hear what your band was called, and I saw the Queensryche stickers so I was confused. You guys had some good jams, and that "DoIt" cover was great.

I was at the show at the Galaxy too, but i was in one of the booths because I had my girlfriend with me. The sound was better at the Key Club and the opening bands were better. I havent listened to the Lords of the Manor cd that i caught.

"All in all a great Symphony X show with great sound combined with the usual elements you would expect in Hollywood."

What are the usual elements you would expect in Hollywood?

squeemu said:
He cussed out the crowd quite a bit, flipped people off, and grabbed his dick. After this he played a really long guitar solo to piss people off when they were chanting "symphony". He said he was thinking of leaving the stage after the third song, but decided to play a solo instead "really fucking long" as he put it. I think the solo lasted for at least 10 minutes.

Then he cussed out the crowd some more, made fun of L.A. and made fun of symphony x a bit and progressive music in general: "You like progressive? I'm so progressive I suck cock for crack money" He really said that last one too.

That guy cracks me up.

When I saw him with Strapping Young Lad, man this guy was booing him and saying fuck you. And Devin flicked him off and goes "Hey fuck you too, security garbage cleanup on isle 5."

It was a pleasure meeting him. He seemed really nice to me. Talked to him for about half an hour.

But him showing his ass to Curufin's friend was uncalled for.

BastrdDrmr said:
hmm... it'd be nice if Devin got pissed off in Detroit and didn't even play or some shit so Symphony X got to add Out of the Ashes and Accolade 1 to the set.
Yeah, same goes for the Northern Virginia show. I wonder if SX is backstage... "OK, Devin didn't get pissed off tonight and he played a full set, let's cut Accolade and Out of the Ashes".

I thought Devin's stuff was really boring in Omaha (his solo seemed especially weak after MJR took the stage). Glad he didn't see me checking my watch about two times per song waiting for Symphony X's time!!

armenianmetal said:
Hey Curufin, I think you were right in front of me. I was wearing the SymX beanie right in back of you. I got a couple of good swipes of your enthusiastic hair in my face but it was all in good fun. I think i beat you on how far I drove. I came down from Davis, but I was visiting family and friends for thanksgiving at the same time so I can't say that it was only for SymX.
Well, I go to UC Davis and live in the dorms there, so I guess you could say I went as far as you! I went home to Vallejo on Wednesday night, spent Thanksgiving there, and left for Santa Ana on Friday morning at 7 am.

Sorry about the hair... some of those songs are just too heavy not to headbang to ;). Don't worry, I shower every day, and I use Finesse! Clean as can be :D.

I'll hopefully be going back down there to see Helloween in January if all works out... but I'll definitely see Helloween in SF!

BTW... Out of the Ashes and Accolade 1 weren't even on the setlist... although they played both of those songs at ProgPower 4 (which was amazing). At Hollywood they skipped over Of Sins and Shadows and went directly to The Odyssey

Wait a minute! what the heck is this flash w/ make out half naked girls deal? they had strippers there too?