HOLY SHIT! I heard Symphony X on Sirius today!

I've had Sirius for 3-1/2 months now and I will never go back to regular radio. The fact alone that you can hear SyX, Nevermore, Malmsteen, and lots of old school metal like Armored Saint is reason enough to love it. The best feature of my Sirius radio (and probably most others) is the memo feature, where you can program your favorite bands or songs, and you get a notifier any time they come on, over the entire Sirius network. It's awesome! So if I'm in my car, and SyX is comingon another station, I get a notifier so I can switch over.

I'm also a huge Howard Stern fan, so my Sirius subscription has been well worth the money.

I definitely recommend Sirius to anyone who is considering getting satellite raido. It kicks ass.

Now we just have to get them to play something other than "Smoke & Mirrors" (the only song I've heard them play from SyX). I sent them an e-mail requesting a few others, but so far haven't heard any.

Oh, and I too heard one of the Hard Attack DJ's mention the progressive metal feature show, and how he was trying to get it on the air. Should be cool when they do.

Snowmaker said:
violin.gif

Oh, and I'm sure FM plays a much bigger variety. :p

Just ain't worth it to me. I can listen to all the symX and other great bands I want on my iPod, CD's, MP3 discs, whatever.

scanner313 said:
I've had Sirius for 3-1/2 months now and I will never go back to regular radio. The fact alone that you can hear SyX, Nevermore, Malmsteen, and lots of old school metal like Armored Saint is reason enough to love it. The best feature of my Sirius radio (and probably most others) is the memo feature, where you can program your favorite bands or songs, and you get a notifier any time they come on, over the entire Sirius network. It's awesome! So if I'm in my car, and SyX is comingon another station, I get a notifier so I can switch over.

I'm also a huge Howard Stern fan, so my Sirius subscription has been well worth the money.

I definitely recommend Sirius to anyone who is considering getting satellite raido. It kicks ass.

Now we just have to get them to play something other than "Smoke & Mirrors" (the only song I've heard them play from SyX). I sent them an e-mail requesting a few others, but so far haven't heard any.

Oh, and I too heard one of the Hard Attack DJ's mention the progressive metal feature show, and how he was trying to get it on the air. Should be cool when they do.

What he said. :kickass:

scanner313 said:

Really? That would be awesome. I find it extremely hard to sit through the crap that plays on Hard Attack for the jewels every once in a while (I have a sirius receiver hooked up to my head unit, so no memo feature). I've had Sirius since last summer and I recommend it profusely to all my friends (I've even since put my girlfriend on my account...6.99/month is quite the deal). Endless amounts of commercial-free radio at my fingertips? Check. Howard Stern every morning? I'm sold.

Ptah Khnemu said:
Way back, there was an "Ask MJR thread, but it was closed, when he responded.

funny you mention this, i was looking for that thread yesterday and couldnt find it. does it even exist anymore? that thread had pretty much anything you could ever need to know about anything ever

Hey guys, I was asked the other day at work about Sirius, but I didnt know, so ill ask you guys. Hows the Reception with Sirius? A few people were hoping that it would be worth getting but were afraid it would be useless since We work is a large steel building that even a lot of cell phones can't operate in.

RobbM said:
Hey guys, I was asked the other day at work about Sirius, but I didnt know, so ill ask you guys. Hows the Reception with Sirius? A few people were hoping that it would be worth getting but were afraid it would be useless since We work is a large steel building that even a lot of cell phones can't operate in.

I can't speak for using it in a building, but I know that I get pretty good reception in my car. I would imagine it depends on how close you are to a repeater, because I know in Vegas I was able to pick up the signal in a parking garage because there are a few ground repeaters there.

hard attack is the best metal radio , sirisu is amazing, xm is good too but sirius has the best metla station cuz they play every genre of metal old and new, and they dotn always play the hits either liek they play alot of obscure shit, but power metal isnt played alot

RobbM said:

I only have a car unit, so I'm not sure how the home (internal) systems work. The antenna for the car unit has to have an open line to the sky/sattellite. If I pull into a gas station with a canopy, or a parking garage I almost always lose my signal. If you're in an office building you'd probably have to ask a Sirius tech how you can get the signal. There's a guy I know who has Sirius in his office at work, but I don't know if he's by a window or not. If I remember, I'll ask him when I see him next.

Just heard Smoke and Mirrors today on Hard Attack.

Let me ask, is the sound quality very poor to you other Sirius subscribers?

I find that, especially with Hard Attack, the sound is very warbale-ly, sounds like streaming audio at a very low bitrate. Actually, I think it's this way with all stations, just more noticeable on Hard Attack because there is always a lot of distorted guitar.

One of my friends gets sirius through his satellite TV, and I told him I have it in my car. He asked "Don't you find yourself listening to it all the time because of the crystal clear sound quality?" I was like, huh? :confused:, I have mangled tapes that sound better. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to know.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Just heard Smoke and Mirrors today on Hard Attack.

Let me ask, is the sound quality very poor to you other Sirius subscribers?

I find that, especially with Hard Attack, the sound is very warbale-ly, sounds like streaming audio at a very low bitrate. Actually, I think it's this way with all stations, just more noticeable on Hard Attack because there is always a lot of distorted guitar.

One of my friends gets sirius through his satellite TV, and I told him I have it in my car. He asked "Don't you find yourself listening to it all the time because of the crystal clear sound quality?" I was like, huh? :confused:, I have mangled tapes that sound better. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to know.

Is yours built into your dash, or do you have a plug-n-play unit with an FM transmitter in its port? I notice that mine sounds better wired to my stereo in the house than it does in my car listening through an FM channel.

Snowmaker said:
Is yours built into your dash, or do you have a plug-n-play unit with an FM transmitter in its port? I notice that mine sounds better wired to my stereo in the house than it does in my car listening through an FM channel.

It's built into the stock radio. The antenna for it is a shark-fin mounted on the roof just above the top of the rear window. Others who have similar cars with the same stock setup have complained as well.

I was wondering if it is exclusive to these setups or if other people have problems, such as yours with the FM transmitter kit.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
I was wondering if it is exclusive to these setups or if other people have problems, such as yours with the FM transmitter kit.

Mine's a little static-y at times when its fighting with an actual FM signal of the same frequency, and sometimes I'll encounter someone next to me with the same setup who has their Sirius radio on a different channel (its funny watching them try to figure out what's wrong when they pick up my channel), but overall it sounds pretty good.

Snowmaker said:
Mine's a little static-y at times when its fighting with an actual FM signal of the same frequency, and sometimes I'll encounter someone next to me with the same setup who has their Sirius radio on a different channel (its funny watching them try to figure out what's wrong when they pick up my channel), but overall it sounds pretty good.

See, I don't have any static or recption problems at all. It's just that it sounds like I'm listening to really crappy streaming audio. Especially with lots of distorted guitar, the sound is really wavy and wierd, almost like there is a flanger or phaser applied to it.