Holy St. Patrick on a Stick, this is amazingly disgusting!

forget "pollio"

vert.ham.dog.ap.gif

Eric Shepherd attacks a "Ham Dog," a hot dog wrapped with a beef patty, deep-fried and covered with chili and cheese.

DECATUR, Georgia (AP) -- When Becky Cleaveland is out with her girlfriends, they all pick at salads except for the petite Atlanta woman. She tackles "The Hamdog."

The dish, a specialty of Mulligan's, a suburban bar, is a hot dog wrapped by a beef patty that's deep fried, covered with chili, cheese and onions and served on a hoagie bun. Oh yeah, it's also topped with a fried egg and two fistfuls of fries.

"The owner says I'm the only girl who can eat a whole one without flinching," Cleaveland said proudly.

Amid a national obesity epidemic and the South's infamous distinction as the "Stroke Belt," health officials have been trying to get diners to flinch, at least a little, at the region's trademark fried and fatty foods.

But nutritionists have found it's hard to teach an old region new tricks. How can Southerners give up delicious staples fried chicken, fried seafood, fried green tomatoes and cornbread slathered in butter?

Even at the Atlanta headquarters of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the leader of the nation's anti-obesity campaign, the cafeteria serves up such artery-clogging regional favorites as biscuits and gravy.

CDC nutritionist Annie Carr said the agency is working to get its house in order by pushing the cafeteria to serve popular foods in healthy ways. The broader goals of the anti-obesity campaign are to educate people to cook with less fat and sugar and to promote the idea of eating five servings of fruits and vegetables a day.

And for the South, that doesn't mean vegetables and greens flavored with bacon and meat drippings.

"I don't think anything is wrong with the kind of vegetables we eat in the South -- it's the way they are prepared," said former Surgeon General Dr. David Satcher, the interim president of the Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, who grew up eating traditional Southern staples on a farm in Alabama. "We need more fruits and vegetables in our diet."
But he acknowledged that the "Hamdog" and the "Luther Burger," a bacon-cheeseburger served on a Krispy Kreme doughnut bun, are what draw attention.

"Luther Burger," a bacon-cheeseburger served on a Krispy Kreme doughnut bun, are what draw attention.[/QUOTE]

OH sweet god, i want one now.

it's glorious! hahaha. Theres this hot dog place in L.A. that i went to last week called Pink's and they have this thing called a bacon burrito dog that my friend got and it's two big hot dogs with chilli and cheese and strips of bacon and some other stuff all wrapped in a huge tortilla...like 22 inches or something, and there is so much grease all over it that the entire tortilla is transparent. It rocks.

I would so eat one of those.

Acie, I noticed that SNK gif in your profile. Are you into just the KOF Games or actually the whole Neo-Geo culture? I have a 1-slot MVS Cabinet (if you know what that is) in my garage.