Honest opinions on Watershed

i like the album, but imho its a step in a wrong direction. i mean, its the best opeth album in the musically way, and the most progressive one, but opeth should sound like opeth. and opeth = blackwater part, still life and my arms your hearse. i hope the next album will be more like the old ones, and not as different as watershed

Awesome album obviously, but it's too polished and did not make me feel much more than "ah, that's a pretty neat riff"...nothing deeper than that. Not nearly a masterpiece like bwp and still life.

edit: i think that damnation is their last masterpiece.

i like the album, but imho its a step in a wrong direction. i mean, its the best opeth album in the musically way, and the most progressive one, but opeth should sound like opeth. and opeth = blackwater part, still life and my arms your hearse. i hope the next album will be more like the old ones, and not as different as watershed

They would be repeating themselves, stacked in the same thing throughout their entire career doesn't sound good i think !

^ Yep, very true.

^^ I agree to some extent, I really love Watershed but it doesn't have the mystic dark atmosphere that their earlier works have, which I loved even more. The songs are great, and there's a psychedelic and chaotic vibe going on through the record - but it's not as great as f ex MAYH or Deliverance. Still, a great record!

I honestly think this thread has been done so many times I'm going to make up a stupid little half-witty sentence rather than reply to the thread.

You know, the more I think of Watershed as an album, the more I love it. It's individuality is outstanding, even if the other albums aren't comparable it doesn't matter to me. It's so different yet so intricate that it's well.... Opeth.

watershed:
- has a completely different atmosphere to their other works
- has a few 'cheesy' moments (in terms of lyrics), and not in the same sense as say, still life or BWP
- contains some amazing riffs, drumming etc.
- hosts some of Opeth's most unique or original songs
- contains songs that seem to translate well into a live setting eg. Heir Apparent
- is a great album, but lacks a consistency in atmosphere

8.5/10 (Opeth scale) 9.8/10 (normal scale)

Less emotions, but still very spectacular. Different is the word, but Damnation was also different, and every albums are different in many ways. Sometime it seems to be more apparent. I couldn't tell I like Watershed less or more, I just think it gives a different feeling, sometime I prefer listening to it than to another, sometime I don't. Depends, Opeth plays with the moods. I like it.

^^ I agree with everything 100% except for the lack of consistency in atmosphere. The songs are really different even compared to each other, but there seems to be a consistent theme/mood/vibe which progresses throughout the album. When I think of the songs as separate pieces, it seems inconsistent; but when I listen to the album from start to finish, everything seems natural and organic - like it couldn't be any other way.
There are lots of pauses, stops and breaks in the music and also in the atmospheres - but that in itself seems to be part of the album's theme.

Opeth plays with the moods. I like it.

Agreed.