Horror meets Metal

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
OK I'm a b-movie horror genre freak, and I've been reading up on gorecore or horrorcore. I have Mortician's Zombie Apocalypse, and have no idea which genre they fit into, BUT I do love the way they sample classic horror movies such as Dawn of the Dead and Zombie.

So what else have we got going in the scene? I notice Necrophagia may do similar things with the movie sampling (such as The Exorcist), and recreating some of that horror freak shit in their music.

The End describe Necrophagia as..."could be the soundtrack for a classic Italian gore/zombie movie". That has me interested, so I thought I'd ask you lot for your experiences in the gore or horror scene.

smile2.gif

I'm really not that much into this stuff anymore. Necrophagia would probably be a great band for you to explore.

You must get early Carcass, if you want to hear the best goremetal ever. They don't really have all the movie samples, though.

Early Cannibal Corpse is also pretty typical of goremetal. It's also some of the best.

npearce said:
I'm really not that much into this stuff anymore. Necrophagia would probably be a great band for you to explore.

Yeah, I'm considering "Divine act of Torture", but it would be a blind buy. I really want to take the plunge...

You must get early Carcass, if you want to hear the best goremetal ever. They don't really have all the movie samples, though.

Do they sound movie-ish though?

Early Cannibal Corpse is also pretty typical of goremetal. It's also some of the best.

They get slammed so often (along with Deicide) that it confuses me as to where to start. Any CC album I should start with for movie gore horror like ambience...?

Cannibal Corpse and Carcass won't really have the horror movei vibe . . . other than artwork and lyrics.

I have an older issue of Terrorizer devoted to goremetal. Let me look through it tonight and find some bands that might be up your alley. Definitely check out Necrophagia, though. They should have the movie vibe you like. They also supposedly have a video that is so vulgar and repulsive it is practically illegal.

I suppose that Necroticism from Carcass has a pseudo-movie vibe, they use samples that sound like they came from a movie, but don't.

The Bleeding from Cannibal Corpse is a great place to start, but not really for the movie vibe. Oh wait, they use one sample on Tomb of the Mutilated (I think). Something like "then I cut out her vagina, then I ate it." Real timeless stuff. :lol:

npearce said:
Cannibal Corpse and Carcass won't really have the horror movei vibe . . . other than artwork and lyrics.

I have an older issue of Terrorizer devoted to goremetal. Let me look through it tonight and find some bands that might be up your alley. Definitely check out Necrophagia, though. They should have the movie vibe you like. They also supposedly have a video that is so vulgar and repulsive it is practically illegal.

Thanks man - I really appreciate it.

I did know that there is movie footage on their Cannibal Holocaust album which uses clips from the movie of the same name. I have that movie completely uncut, and yes, it is vile.

And by the way, if anyone is interested, the concept of Cannibal Holocaust is based on a crew that get lost in the Amazon, and sometime later their film footage is found of their exploration (and cannabilistic demise). So the film is a recap of that film footage.....and it came out 15 years before Blair Witch Project....

Here's Terrorizer's GORE TOP 20

1) Carcass 'Symphonies of Sickness'
- On purely musical terms, 'Symphonies of Sickness' was a grind classic, built up on simple riffs, but chopping them up into a disorientating slew of gouging guitars and palpitating percussion. And yet what really made this album so siminal was the unprecedented intensity of the imagery and the collage of chopped up bodies adorning the original (now banned) album cover and the pathology jargon of the lyrics, and track titles such as 'Cadaveric Incubatof or Endoparasites', turning the body's viscera into a fantastical, almost noble-sounding litany. 'Symphonies' sparked everybody's imagination, and left in its wake the legacy of goregrind.

2) Carcass 'Reek of Putrefacation'

3) Repulsion 'Horrified'

4) Death 'Scream Bloody Gore'

5) Autopsy 'Severed Survival'

6) Autopsy 'Mental Funeral'

7) Gorerotted 'Mutilated in Minutes'

8) Mortician 'Hacked Up for Barbecue'

9) Cannibal Corpse 'Tomb of the Mutilated'

10) Necrophagia 'Holocaust De La Morte'

11) Cannibal Corpse 'Butchered at Birth'

12) Necrophagia 'Season of the Deat'

13) Deranged 'Rated X'

14) Exhumed 'Gore Metal'

15) Deeds of Flesh 'Inbreeding the Anthropophagi'

16) Carcass 'Necrotism: Descanting the Insalubrious'

17) Dead Infection 'A Chapter of Accidents'

18) Impetigo 'Horror of the Zombies'

19) Gore Beyond Necropsy 'Noise a Go Go!'

20) Autopsy 'Acts of the Unspeakable'

Necrophagia is on the cover of the mag. There are a whole bunch of articles on the various bands making good goremetal today. There's even a section on great horror/gore movies. Battle Royale is even given a 9/10. I need to see it. Is it available anywhere for somebody with a normal DVD player?

Since it's still banned in the USA, you might have a hard time seeing it. But if you ever do buy a second DVD player, I highly urge you to buy multi-format (since it's the same price as a regular player anyway).

It's worth it for Battle Royale alone. And the original Ring. And Cannibal Holocaust. etc. Most import movies are fully uncut as well.

npearce said:
Maybe my DVD player is multi-format. It's only 1.5 years old. How would I find out if it is? Will the manual tell me?

If you bought it in a store, I doubt it is. At least around me, no stores sell multi-region players, it could be different elsewhere. The only place I know to get them is online.

On a related note, does anyone here have some knowledge about multi-region players? I've had one for a about a year or so, and I have some questions about NTSC/PAL compatibility, but no one ever seems to know the answer.

bloodfiredeath said:
If you bought it in a store, I doubt it is. At least around me, no stores sell multi-region players, it could be different elsewhere. The only place I know to get them is online.

You're right. A high street store (in the USA) will probably sell region 1 players only. If I remember correctly, region 1 pertains to the US, region 2 is Europe, and region 3 is Far East. Either way, it matters little if your player is multi-regional since it auto-detects the region on the disc. I bought mine on-line.

By the way, note that a multi-region (or codefree) DVD player will also play DVD-R's, VCD's, and MP3 CDs.

DVD-R: This is very cool indeed since if you're really into genre 'hard to find' shit, it's typically either on VHS (yuk!!!) or DVD-R (yay!!).

VCD: Simple stuff really, and if you download crap all the time then you can burn it onto a VCD using a regular CD burner. That's how people end up watching things like Return of the King or Matrix 2 early, and if you're player can read VCD then you don't have to watch it on your shitty PC monitor.

MP3: Self evident.

On a related note, does anyone here have some knowledge about multi-region players? I've had one for a about a year or so, and I have some questions about NTSC/PAL compatibility, but no one ever seems to know the answer.

Give me a try. Failing that, ChiefB knows this kind of shit too, and he's just come back from Thailand where they'll mod your DVD or games console right out of the box. In fact, he even wired his own PSX if I remember correctly...

If we can't figure it out, I've found that the guys who sell specialty stuff are friendly. When I bought my DVD player on-line, I called them up beforehand and they were more than willing to answer all my questions.

:)

JayKeeley said:
Give me a try. Failing that, ChiefB knows this kind of shit too, and he's just come back from Thailand where they'll mod your DVD or games console right out of the box. In fact, he even wired his own PSX if I remember correctly...

If we can't figure it out, I've found that the guys who sell specialty stuff are friendly. When I bought my DVD player on-line, I called them up beforehand and they were more than willing to answer all my questions.

/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well alright.

I'm not at home, so I don't have it in front of me, but my player is a Daewoo. I bought it off of ebay. It'll play any NTSC dvd fine, no matter where it's from (I got some from Brazil, Japan, Korea...).

Once it's a PAL dvd though, there are some problems. It will play the disc, but the aspect ratio is sometimes screwed up. For example, I bought the UK Futurama boxset. It looks perfectly fine, but that is a show that's fullscreen. However, I have some UK discs that are widescreen (Angel boxsets, Ring, Ring 2, Audition) and they don't look right. The black bars on the top and bottom are only there a little bit, and the picture is a little stretched. They are watchable, but they are not perfect, which bugs me.

I always assumed that somehow the PAL translation gets screwed up with widescreen discs, but that's just a guess. I have a couple friends who have region free players (one has the same player as me, one has a different one), and the same thing happens to them. When I look at the specs on region free players, I never see anything that addresses this specifically. Some say that they convert PAL to work on an NTSC tv, like mine claims to, some say that you need a convertor for your tv.

Following this?

I also have a Daewoo. It's a shitty one though (5800 model) because I keep on having to punch in the unlocking codes, but otherwise it's fine.

I've never experienced your display problems (and I have a ton of crap from the UK, being a Brit myself). I've also only ever bought Sony triniton TV's (I have a Wega), and from what I know, they display both NTSC and PAL framerates.

Could it be with your TV perhaps?

Back to the topic, I'd go with Autopsy and Exhumed.

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Pazuzu, but his stuff is soundtrack-ey in that horror fantasy type of way. I believe markgugs has some Pazuzu.

Dreamlord said:
Back to the topic, I'd go with Autopsy and Exhumed.

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with Pazuzu, but his stuff is soundtrack-ey in that horror fantasy type of way. I believe markgugs has some Pazuzu.

Oh really? I was just over at Marks last night (to pick up the new Soilwork) and if I only I'd known to ask...!

Can you tell me a little more about Autopsy or Exhumed (from an atmospheric perspective)?

That is definately one of the great things about Thailand and SE.Asia in general. You walk into a store and buy a PS2 or any console and the next thing they ask you is what kind of mod-chip do you want !! Then they show you a book which contains all the covers for the latest games. You pick the cover and 2 minutes later you get your game for $1.00 !! There is also a plaza in Bangkok called 'Pantip Plaza', which is just wall to wall of every pirate software, for PC, Mac anything. Ok, I'm digressing.

The issue with PAL translations relate to the screen size. Because of the larger dimensions you get this stretched look which appears on some DVD's. I too get that stretched look when I play a US DVD on a PAL system and I have to set my Sony TV to artifically play in 16.9 format, which corrects the problem. I don't own a widescreen TV so I'm not sure if this totally corrects the problem.

There are not many region players (correct me if I am wrong) that advertise on the box that they are multi-region. The majority of DVD players have been fitted with a PARAGON chip which overides the region coding. On some DVD's (like mine) I need to manually tell my DVD via the remote, what region the disk is. These instructions are usually supplied by the distributor who you bought your DVD from, as they have fitted the devices in.

Apart from all that techno-jargon, if you want to play imported films (like Battle Royale) you should get a multi-region DVD, which should cost no more than $200 (including shipping).

Battle Royale kicks so much major ass , it's not funny. All these kids kicking the shit out of each other, even the girls are ruthless. It takes all stereotypes about Japanese girls (the manga shits 'n giggles bollocks) and throws it out the window.