Horror Movies

Ocelot2010

Burger King Diamond
Sep 18, 2008
Washington State
So Halloween 2 is coming out tomorrow (for my timezone), and it just got me thinking about all of those horror movie classics from the 70's and 80's.

Shit like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hellraiser, Poltergeist, the Exorcist, the list goes on.

Whatever happened to the good shit like that? There hasn't really been a good horror movie in the last...two decades. Granted Rob Zombie is doing an excellent job with Halloween, and the Devil's Rejects was an awesome movie, but TDR couldn't be called horror. Nothing original is coming out, and nothing scary is coming out.

Will we ever see a true horror movie in the years to come?

and what makes a horror movie truly horrifying?

There hasn't really been a good horror movie in the last...two decades.

I totally disagree. Horror isn't all about slash/gore/devil possession and so on.

My favourite horror film in the last few years was Saw. I've grown immune to seeing someone getting their head sqished/chopped off/shot/sliced in half so this film delivered something that really scared me. It wasn't seeing someone climbing through barbed wire, or chopping their foot off. It was a 5 minute scene where one of the characters has a contraption around her neck which would close on her head if she didn't escape. It was shot in a jumpy style, and it was that which got me....I liken the feeling I was having to being air-sick.

I had to tell the wife to stop the DVD because it was having an effect on me - for the first time in years, I was actually scared by something in a horror film. It was great - loved it.

and what makes a horror movie truly horrifying?

Not knowing what is going to happen next - or not showing what is actually happening.

If you want some good horror stuff to watch, take a look at the japanese market. 'Audition' will get you :D

[REC] is one of the best horrors I've seen, it made me jump out of my seat and shout "FUCKING HELL", can't wait for the second one. :D

I think the old 80's slasher movies like Nightmare on Elmstreet and Friday the 13th are... well, shite. :lol: They all follow the same boring clichés so you know what's going to happen next.

EDIT: Also...

This looks pretty cool

Last edited by a moderator:
They can't do horror films any more.

It's become more about how silent can we make it before making a REALLY loud noise to make you jump, combined with an image shocking to the eyes. Fuck off.

A horror film needs to make you feel unsettled, uneasy and on edge. No horror films do that anymore. Although saying that i bet the old ones dont anymore either, it was probably just because i was 10.

David Lynch needs to do a horror film

I also forgot to mention the obvious Alien and Jaws. While they aren't scary they're still brilliant movies.

[REC] is one of the best horrors I've seen, it made me jump out of my seat and shout "FUCKING HELL", can't wait for the second one. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-gVB-U5is

I think the old 80's slasher movies like Nightmare on Elmstreet and Friday the 13th are... well, shite. :lol: They all follow the same boring clichés so you know what's going to happen next.

EDIT: Also...

This looks pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tyBQPC0O_E
[REC] is indeed awesome. The dark room part at the end is gold!
But what's the difference between a horror movie and a thriller? Is a horror movie more bloody / vulgar and therefore scares the audience and does a thriller use suspense and stuff to scare the audience?

While it's debatable if it's a true horror movie; The Mist... The ending was horrifying, had me going "Oh my gawwwwwd" I didn't know it was coming either, pretty shocking.

While it's debatable if it's a true horror movie; The Mist... The ending was horrifying, had me going "Oh my gawwwwwd" I didn't know it was coming either, pretty shocking.
FUCK YEAH. Awesome animation too, I have to see it again just for that 500 meter high beast that walked by at the end of the movie.

I am very much a big horror fan, but I think the genre is definately lacking. It's too much blood and gore nowadays and not enough shock tactics, all just the same cliche's. No one will match the originals by Dario Argento and George A. Romero, I love the classics, they look more raw and I think they have more of a frightening edge to them, not really sure why. Original Halloween series really makes me jump, where as the new Rob Zombie version (as much as I love it) doesn't really give me anything in that way. Films such as Serpent And The Rainbow and House On Haunted Hill (original) always got me freaked out a little, so yeah I miss that feeling of being geniunly a little scared.

They can't do horror films any more.

I'll second this.

Which is why they're remaking every horror movie and his dog. I mean, seriously.. A remake of the original A Nightmare on Elm Street? Why? It hasn't even really aged. It's just unnecessary, totally unnecessary.

i love horror films, even some of the new ones are good but there does seem to be 2 styles one is gore n shock tactics such as saw n the other is tryin to make u jump like drag me to hell, excellent films but i havent found a horror film that has actually scared me
n some of the old films are shite im mainly talkin bout texas chainsaw massacre, the remake was good original is shite

This. And if someone watching didn't hate that woman, then I'm sorry but there is something wrong with them.

Horror films need to have the unpredictability IMO. That helps creates a fear response, not knowing whats coming or when. How they execute (no pun intended) the event also helps majorly.

Rec is a shit movie. The original spanish one was shit and so is the american remake/redo/whatever the fuck it is. It blows balls. I really do not know how you can say its good. its just a bunch of stupid stuff with a wobbly camera. And people going aaaah aaaah aaaah. we're gonna die!!! aah aaah aaah :puke:

Opinion.... :lol:

I think a horror movie has to be disturbing and creepy, something that really breaks the boundaries. Like the Poltergeist, in the course of five minutes, a little boy gets eaten by a tree and a little girl gets sucked into her TV. That part right there made me turn off my TV.

I remember being scared shitless, I wouldnt leave my closet open. and that puppet clown!!! Jesus that gave me nightmares. Poltergeist is AWESOME.
John Carpenter is my favourite horror director. I really want to see Drag me To Hell by Sam Raimi. They say its really good.

What really pisses me off in todays horror movies everything is CGI. Before they used to make puppets which where horrifying like in "The Thing". It would be awesome if someone went back to doing puppet stuff. The dont do it anymore because CGI is a lot cheaper but just imagine what they would be able to do with puppets nowadays.

What really pisses me off in todays horror movies everything is CGI. Before they used to make puppets which where horrifying like in "The Thing". It would be awesome if someone went back to doing puppet stuff. The dont do it anymore because CGI is a lot cheaper but just imagine what they would be able to do with puppets nowadays.

The Thing still holds up today, it looks better than most CGI.