How about some NWOBHM?

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Has any classic NWOBHM band ever been considered?
They have been thought of to be an influence on both the power and prog metal scenes.

Some bands I am talking about are Diamond Head, Angel Witch, Tygers of Pan Tang, etc, etc, etc....

Lots of these bands never had a high profile gig in the states.

Just a thought.....

Iced Ray said:
Has Saxon ever been considered?

Good call!!!! They honestly never crossed my mind.
Considering their luck trying to pull off a full US tour over the past couple of years, there would be lots of people interested in this.

How about Manilla Road (IR - I saw them last Sat with Slough Feg...)

Iced Ray said:
Has Saxon ever been considered?
I personally have mentioned them many times. Don't know how much serious consideration a band like them, or any other NWOBHM band, would get. I just hope they(Saxon)see fit to make back over here sometime before my demise.

Jasonic said:
How about Manilla Road (IR - I saw them last Sat with Slough Feg...)

Yeah, I saw your thread on Metal-Rules. You didn't like 'em, huh? Good to hear that SF put on a tight show tho. I also read that MR were only on for a half hour? That sucks since the band is an epic metal band and many of their songs are quite lengthy. :lol:

As for Progpower, I don't think it would be a wise choice from a business sense. If you wanna fill the seats with asses, going with a relatively unknown and cult band like Manilla Road is not going to help ya.

Personally tho, I think having MR on the bill would rule! :headbang:

Tough to imagine one of these bands being a good fit for a ProgPower show. The overall reaction to Rage was something of a clue here... while die-hard metal fans (i.e., people who would post regularly on message boards) are into the classic bands to some degree or another, there does appear to be something of a gap between die-hard fans and regular prog and power metal fans. This suprises me as much as anyone, since 10 years ago, there were really only die-hard fans. But then, ProgPower, in its current form, probably wouldn't have been financially viable 10 years ago.

Currrently, there are lots of people for whom Nightwish or Evergrey would be a draw, for whom Diamond Head and Angel Witch wouldn't even warrant a second glance. Compounding that problem, these are classic, veteran bands, and might be rightfully deserving of a headliner slot. However, they're not popular enough, and wouldn't sell enough tickets, as compared to many of the newer prog and power bands, to warrant a closing slot in the ProgPower lineup.

Sumeet said:
Tough to imagine one of these bands being a good fit for a ProgPower show. The overall reaction to Rage was something of a clue here... while die-hard metal fans (i.e., people who would post regularly on message boards) are into the classic bands to some degree or another, there does appear to be something of a gap between die-hard fans and regular prog and power metal fans. This suprises me as much as anyone, since 10 years ago, there were really only die-hard fans. But then, ProgPower, in its current form, probably wouldn't have been financially viable 10 years ago.

Currrently, there are lots of people for whom Nightwish or Evergrey would be a draw, for whom Diamond Head and Angel Witch wouldn't even warrant a second glance. Compounding that problem, these are classic, veteran bands, and might be rightfully deserving of a headliner slot. However, they're not popular enough, and wouldn't sell enough tickets, as compared to many of the newer prog and power bands, to warrant a closing slot in the ProgPower lineup.

Good points.

Sumeet said:
Tough to imagine one of these bands being a good fit for a ProgPower show. The overall reaction to Rage was something of a clue here... while die-hard metal fans (i.e., people who would post regularly on message boards) are into the classic bands to some degree or another, there does appear to be something of a gap between die-hard fans and regular prog and power metal fans. This suprises me as much as anyone, since 10 years ago, there were really only die-hard fans. But then, ProgPower, in its current form, probably wouldn't have been financially viable 10 years

strange indeed. i didnt listen to metal 10 years ago, ( i was 4, heh...my metalness came at 6). but, funny you bring this up. me and my friend were just talkin about something like this because my favorite band and first band was/is Iron Maiden...however, after than the most listened to bands are all power metal, some prog thrown in...then back the heavy and old school. weird because i was introduced and brougght up the first 4 years of my music life on maiden, metallica, megadeth, saxon, dio and such...but maiden and dio were the only real ones that ever stuck with me above the power metal.

Wow, you have good tastes for only being 14!!

Well, I certainly wasn't suggesting that any of these classic NWOBHM bands be headliners. Just something to change things up a bit. It might also attract the attention of those who would not normally be interested in a fest made up of primarily bands from the 90's and beyond.

IR - Manilla Road got cut short due to curfew. I loved what I have heard from them in the studio. Live it was bland.

Emerald Sword said:
I fucking love PRAYING MANTIS! I'd kill to be able to see them here in the States someday!

I'm not that familiar with most of their stuff (I heard a couple old tracks back in the day), but I got a free copy of their Nowhere To Hide disc a couple years ago, and it's superb. Really excellent stuff. I plan to get more from them at some point (if my "to-buy" list ever actually becomes smaller!). :)

I'd love it but I don't know how viable it would be for Glenn;
anything like Saxon, Chateaux, Legend, Savage, Tygers Of Pan Tang, etc would be very cool though...

Neal

MysticX9 said:
I'd love it but I don't know how viable it would be for Glenn;
anything like Saxon, Chateaux, Legend, Savage, Tygers Of Pan Tang, etc would be very cool though...

Maybe it'd be more viable for Shane and the pre-party.

Epic/True metal borders very closely with Power metal (especially US power metal), and luckily much of it comes right out of the USA.

I cannot imagine how phenomenal PPUSA would look like with 2 "Euro-style" headliners and 2 "US-style" bands supporting.

E.g. Imagine if you took out Thunderstone this year (knowing you've already got Jorn headlining) and replaced them with Manilla Road. I'd go for it! Heck, I'm going anyway. :loco: