how do they do this...

mike_s

New Metal Member
Dec 31, 2006
Moscow
Hi
Probably I have the most stupid question you've been ever asked. But...

How do these guys (COB) and all other best guitar players gain this level of playing?
Do they just start to play when they are 7-10 years old and play every day 10 hours non stop or it's something else?
What is the process before they become these album makers and crazy live players?

I do ask this coz I've been playing guitar(Epiphone Flying V) for 3 years now and it's still hard for me to learn fast parts from COB songs.

Thanks!

Words from my guitar teacher (One of Canada's best guitarists IMO):

"You don't have to practice speed in order to play fast, just play guitar every day and you'll naturally get faster over time."

Just don't worry about it, keep it up and you'll get better with time.

Reactions: Axel
Words from my guitar teacher (One of Canada's best guitarists IMO):

"You don't have to practice speed in order to play fast, just play guitar every day and you'll naturally get faster over time."

Just don't worry about it, keep it up and you'll get better with time.

Exactly. Dont worry about speed, get your technique down, and over time you'll gain speed. Practicing also helps, like with speed exercises, but remember, even when you do those, start slow until you can get them to sound good, and then slowly get faster, but still work on getting it to sound good over sloppy and fast.

Just practice all the time, learn stuff that you can play. There was a time where I couldn't play a whole lot of COB stuff; but I learned the parts here and there that I could, learned the Hatebreeder sweep melody and eventually the solo; and after that it was all pretty easy to learn the rest. Alexi doesn't stray much from E minor and A minor shapes. Learning that stuff was a huge leap in my playing, but once you learn a few you've learned them all, sorta. KTS is a little bit of an exception to the rule, and that took me a month or so to get down perfectly.
But yeah, just practice. Don't force yourself, you'll come along faster than you think. You just have to be willing to challenge yourself and learn new stuff. It never ends.

Wow you are pretty good man... just you'll have to convince me that's 1 years worth of playing cause i find that bit hard to believe - unless you play like 5+ hours a day, when you say serious does that mean you've been playing unserious for a while?

uhhh that video is on a 50 year old guys account so its just that he liked the vid...If it was your vid, wouldnt you send us the link with your account hosting the video??

Sorry for the triple post but I found this video, Paul Gilbert is great at making instructional videos so you might wanna check him out further.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an advice... Well at least it can be an advice.

When I practice (Keyboards) in the goal to learn something, in the goal to become better, in the goal to etc, it's always... poor and slowly learnd and etc. When I practice because I want to play, because I want to have fun and etc, I learn damnly fast and I overcome such fucking difficult thing and like 3-4 days after I'm like... Wtf how did I learned that...

Music is expression dude, have fun with it, don't mind the business and the famous thing.