how do they do this...

I would think so! I also think that you have to be naturally gifted to have such skill as the COB guys!

I don't really think so coz I've seen tons of videos where guys of different age play COB songs just like COB.
I think that the thing is not to play like they do the thing is to make such music that every one finds cool and follows it.
A real riddle for me is how do they compose such good stuff.
Probably this is a naturally gift like you said.
What do others think?

to be good at guitar it's all about practice
to be good at composing imo is a mix of passion and a good understanding of music

Well what defines "good"?

Some people would class Mozart as a motherfucking genuis, others would say all of his music is boring shit. You don't need an understanding of music at all to write something that you like the sound of. But yeah, being good at guitar is obviously down to practise.

^ yup all about the practice. and if you're not one of those naturally gifted people when it comes to music, i would suggest that you start learning some theory, especially if you're interested in composition.

Well what defines "good"?

Some people would class Mozart as a motherfucking genuis, others would say all of his music is boring shit. You don't need an understanding of music at all to write something that you like the sound of. But yeah, being good at guitar is obviously down to practise.

I agree with the whole practice makes perfect theory but I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean about not needing to understand music to compose...are you saying a composer doesn't need to know notes, chords, etc? How will they share the music apart from playing it, and then when they die, how will anybody else enjoy what only the creator knew?

what he's trying to say is that it doesn't take a musical genious to pick up an instrument and play something they think sounds good.. i think. And it's not really about other people enjoying the music , it's yours to enjoy as you wrote it.For e.g Which is why Alexi don't give a shit about what fans think and he composes what sounds good to him

^you're just saying that the composer has to actually write down the music he comes up with.

Mitch is saying that in order to write music for yourself to enjoy, you don't need theory. you can come up with songs on guitar and just remember what you played. a lot of people actually do that. many rock musicians don't ever write their stuff down.

post jumped.

I agree with the whole practice makes perfect theory but I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean about not needing to understand music to compose...are you saying a composer doesn't need to know notes, chords, etc? How will they share the music apart from playing it, and then when they die, how will anybody else enjoy what only the creator knew?

Well you don't. Maybe the basic stuff like the notes and basic triads but that's it. Alot of people just go by what sounds good and that's all that matters.

I admit, the ability to remember every riff you've ever come up with is an amazing accomplishment, but don't you think if you really loved your music you would be cool with writing it down to share with other's who appreciate it?

no, if you love music for music's sake, then you don't give 2 shits about other people listening to what you made cuz what you made is for your own enjoyment. but of course, if you want to go somewhere in life with the music you make(like being in a band), then yeah, writing it down or recording it would be a good idea.

practice, practice, practice man thats what its all about. now you dont have to be vai and practice 10 hours a day but it helps. i always would always learn stuff that i know was out of my league it motivates ya to get better.

like right now im attemping jason becker's serenna(ya i know im insane lol) becker is out of most peoples league but it motivates ya.

as for composing it helps alot using guitar pro or power tab for me anyway sometimes i end up writing a killer sweep picking passage i fucking cant play yet lol

At the moment im playing Kalmah(The groan of wind), and its a very nice song, its not too hard, and not to fast.
(link=http://www.megaupload.com/?d=5OOGOVXF)
But now i dont know what to play, i tested Silent night, bodom night, but the sweeping is to difficult for me..
Any Ideas what to play now?^^
thx 4 help

And what about signing and playing at the same time?
Does anyone have such experience?
As for me every time I open my mouth all playing goes fucked up immediately.

And what about signing and playing at the same time?
Does anyone have such experience?
As for me every time I open my mouth all playing goes fucked up immediately.

I'm able to sing in slow tempoed songs (Everytime I Die, Angels Don't Kill..). Otherwise it's a bit difficult to me too.