How do u play

Harmonic Minor scale... lots of palm muting, and lots of like really fast chain-gun on-off sounding rhythms yknow. The guitar tone helps alot... normally the bands crank the treble really high, to give more of that 'midi' sound to the guitars u know :).

Can someone write out the HArmonic Minor scale??

in the 5th position? please.

all the scale books i have ave conveniantly forgotten to include it :(

Moonlapse said:
|-------------------------|
|----------------4-5------|
|----------3-5-6----------|
|----3-5-6----------------|

Consider your self good repped :D

Well if you like Kalmah I'd say go for Withering Away. The ideas in that are very easy, so if you just slow the song down and practice the riffs over like excercises it should be quite beneficial for you.

Ah yes, Grade 8. I don't go by grades, I dont take lessons anymore and the whole concept of doing music academically like school is ludicrous to me, but I believe i was learning a Grade 8 song at one point... Paganini's 5th Caprice I believe.

If you have the program guitar pro (if you don't, get it, it kicks ass) you can go into their database and download some tabs of Kalmah songs. I believe they have withering away in the archive as well. It's gonna want you to register to be able to play back more than one track at a time, but the tabs are still the most accurate that I've seen and you can get the right timing by playing along with the guitar track(s). www.guitar-pro.com and http://mysongbook.com is the database.. they have a whole collection of "extreme" bands there. If you get Guitar Pro 4, there is an additional scales feature that will scan segments of a track you choose and tell you what possible scales could be used with it.

As far as scales for melodic death metal, knowing any minor scale is quite helpful.. although the natural harmonic minor scale is used a lot, it's definitely hard to fit in to simple chord progressions. Here's another example of natural harmonic minor:

----------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------7-8-7---------------------
-----------------------8-9-----------9-8----------------
------------7-9-10-----------------------10-9---------
-7-9-10------------------------------------------10-7-
-----------------------------------------------------------

Variation of a E natural harmonic minor..

Harmonic minor is not the standard in melodic death metal. It's basically harmonized guitars playing natural minor. There are a few songs/bands here and there that may incorporate harmonic minor but it's not used often. For instance, 95% of In Flames songs use natural minor. You incorrectly tabbed out the 5th position for harmonic minor as well. The 5th position (or mode) is called phrygian major, and is the scale Symphony X uses almost constantly (if you're familiar with them you know what I mean).

A phrygian major

D--------------5-7-
A--------5-7-8-----
E--5-6-9-----------

BastrdDrmr said:
Harmonic minor is not the standard in melodic death metal. It's basically harmonized guitars playing natural minor. There are a few songs/bands here and there that may incorporate harmonic minor but it's not used often. For instance, 95% of In Flames songs use natural minor. You incorrectly tabbed out the 5th position for harmonic minor as well. The 5th position (or mode) is called phrygian major, and is the scale Symphony X uses almost constantly (if you're familiar with them you know what I mean).

A phrygian major

D--------------5-7-
A--------5-7-8-----
E--5-6-9-----------

In case what you were saying was in direct reference to my post: I just put in a modified minor scale for example, I didn't have a guitar on me.. so you got me pardner.. I did a half ass example, just a quick run I thought sounded good.