how do you do pinch harmonics?

Use the side of yoruthumb to cut the frequecy of the string vibration in half. an non harmonic is called a "Fundamental" and have certain frequencies to them, if you double that (5 kHz>10 kHz) you will make harmonics (1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so on).

Just use the side of your thumb while you pick the string.

The ever technical bob, Why oh why do you waste your life in a punk band.

you're a metal guitar tech at heart and you know it :)

:p
yeha i know, i just suck at metal. hahaha
oh well, at least i practice my shit.

Harmonics are way easier when you put the volume high right ?

I searched a bit on the net for harmonics, and I found some thread or pages where the guy said he creates the harmonics with his thumb when picking down, and with the other fingers when picking up. (well, if I understood well)
Damn, that awfully hard !

I downloaded a small part, the guy plays a short melody, about 12 notes, all in harmonics. It's not that fast, so I can't tell if yes or not it's played with harmonics created with up and down picking, but that's quite impressive anyway.

And talking 'bout harmonics, the one in passage to the reaper are awesome. That's amazing how god players can place harmonics enywhere they want, and also when you never expect it. Like the very short ones in between the heavy rif of demonstration #2...

Mmh one last thing, in guitar pro there are artificial harmonics, and pitch harmonics.
I guess articifial is the same than pinch (cuz' there 5, 7 and 12 AH, and from what I know with my crappy attempt at playing harmonics, you can't create it anywhere right ? You have to brush with your thumb on some "imaginary" fret am I right ? That's mathematic if I'm not wrong)
And what are pitch harmonics ?

pitch harmonics sound like ghost harmonics, and im still not sure if that accurate.

there are at least 3 types that i know of - artificial (pinch), natural, and ghost

Tap harmonics, when you fret a note then press lightly above the fret an octave (12 frets higher) like a natural harmonic.

Also, for my ultimate pinch sound, which aint as good as Dimes or Zakks but is still good.

Gain -10
Channel volume - 10
Bass - 6
Mid - 2
Treb - 10

Master volume - 2->9

Thats for my Marshall AVT275 and my rhoads running an EMG 89 (hooked permenantly to singlecoil) in the neck and an 85 in the bridge.

NeedledWarheart said:
The ever technical bob, Why oh why do you waste your life in a punk band.

you're a metal guitar tech at heart and you know it :)

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yeah bob, quit wasting your time with punk. Your head must be bung! Play some metal dammit!!! come play lead for my band. :p

the amp does not need to be turned up all the way or anything like that. Once you learn what you're doing, you can do it at any time. It's a wide bend with your fretting hand and you try to catch the string between your thumb and pick. After you figure out what you're doing then it becomes very very easy.

i;m not a fan of the high ones, i love the low ones, like 3rd fret 6th string, they are so ....orgasmic.

for example, listen to Ozzy - Perry Mason

@serge...thats because youre changing the length of the vibration of the string. and it doesnt necessarily need to be cut in half either, just shortened to a specific length predetermined by the specific pitch being played (its all physics/math equasions with the basic unit being khz and i dont quite remember the specifics) . every note played has a number of different parts to it (because its not a perfect pitch) so depending where you touch the string, youll get a different undertone (that may be the wrong word choice, but other than that im drawing a blank)

am i wrong, or does a majority of those squeals come from a mix of pinch/artificial harmonics and fancy tremelo work?