How does Mike sing?

Adam

Dec 9, 2001
Visit site
Ive been wondering this for a long time, his singing style is unique from any other band ive heard. He can still sing and have a moderate range while still sounding evil as hell, unlike the monotone voices of some other metal growlers. Ive been trying to sing like him for about a week and ive damned near lost my voice. How does he do it? Someone once even told me that he breathed in while doing it? Because if you listen to some songs like In the Mist She was Standing it sounds like it, especially on the drawn out notes, like where he says "stallion".

Yeah, I wonder how the hell he does it to. I wonder that about Maynard as well. I guess some people are just blessed that way.

He said in an interview that he kinda screams but he does not. Its kinda hard when i growl i started doing stuff that really hurted my throat until i did some more deep stuff that was barely audible then i stopped in the middle, being perfectly confortable with my throat but having enough power so its audible with a small amp in a party

I wondered that about maynard too, i saw Tool live in september, and his throat really bulged when he sang, although Mike is much more impressive. Hes a weird guy too, he dressed up in leather and stripped halfway through the concert hehe.

true, no one beats Mikael.

Did Mayard do the scream in The Grudge all the way through?

i saw opeth lately at a gig in Paris..and i was amazed by such perfection in the vocal performance..its was almost exactly the same than the cd stuff...this man is trully skilled.
a unique experience i must say.

Mike and Maynard are definitely two truly unique vocalist. It amazes me everytime I listen to them. I saw Tool in October, and they were amazing. I am still yet to see Opeth, but I hope I get the opportunity very soon.

Thanks Oyo, im from Connecticut in the good ol (good meaning bad!) USA! And no Jayde he did a sort of gutteral whisper at the beginning of Grudge. I havent gotten a chance to see Opeth live yet but im waiting for them to come out here, and ill probably be the first to buy a ticket if they do. I also like the vocals the guy in Dissection (i forget his name, Jon something) does, but i think he may use some sort of flange effect.

Originally posted by Jayde
Yeah, I wonder how the hell he does it to. I wonder that about Maynard as well. I guess some people are just blessed that way.

Indeed ,, maynard has a very unique style ,, and i've yet to master it ,,, now that you've said the whole breathing in thing does sound a bit right ,, if you knew how to do it ,, I bet you that Dan Swano does the same very thing ,,

Yeah, the breathing in thing is starting to make more and more sense. It would explain how he can sing such long lines without running out of breath too, and it sounds very much like it on the long screetches. If one were to train oneself to control it ill bet they would sound just like Mikael.

Doubt it. Distorsion does not makes a voice sound like that, he probably recorded the voice twice or used a harmizer pedal on the cd version of demon of the fall but that is about it.

Originally posted by B-lial
no vocal distortion man..i tell u he sings the same thing live...even demon of the fall was perfect...its all a matter of breath.

How do you know? They could've run it through same kind of distortion than in the album. Seriously though there are quite a few people who have done death grunts and clean vocals at the same time (not at the exact same time but you know what I mean) like Jonas Renkse, Garm/Trickster G, Simen Hestnaes, Vintersorg.

Yes im shure Mikael uses distortion. How do you explain the clean voice? ive seen live videos and it woul be necesary for him to activate a foot switch of a short ( because they obiously do not have people doing that for them cause they use footswitch or pedal for the distortion on the guitar wich would be far more complicated ) and he sings the clean part of demon of the fall right away no footswitch. Is it so hard to believe that he is just an amazing singer and that maybe that is why he has been asked or performed in other places and bands like katatonia?

Originally posted by Misanthrope
Yes im shure Mikael uses distortion. How do you explain the clean voice? ive seen live videos and it woul be necesary for him to activate a foot switch of a short ( because they obiously do not have people doing that for them cause they use footswitch or pedal for the distortion on the guitar wich would be far more complicated ) and he sings the clean part of demon of the fall right away no footswitch. Is it so hard to believe that he is just an amazing singer and that maybe that is why he has been asked or performed in other places and bands like katatonia?

Didn't I get that or does your first sentence say the opposite of the rest of your post? :confused: