How does Mike sing?

He sings fine (fine being the understatement of the centurie) :loco:

I've tried it, and if my voice weren't so high pitched, I would come very close to the actual thing. You have to manipulate your tounge in a strange way. I'm not sure if I can explain how to do it but I'll try. I press the tip of my tounge against the roof of my mouth in the dent part between the base of your gums and the platelet. As you sing you will need to move your tounge around like you normally would. Then to produce the low, throaty growl, its like when you yawn and your tounge sort of goes back in your mouth, and so you sing with it like that. Then when you sing you vibrate your throat like you normally would when singing death metal. Well, I've tried to explain it the best I can, but I can't guarantee it will work out for you.

Originally posted by Jayde
Yeah, I wonder how the hell he does it to. I wonder that about Maynard as well. I guess some people are just blessed that way.

Maynard? He's such a tool... no pun intended. Yawn.

yeah of course he uses pedal distortion..but by what i saw its was for the guitars only..i mean...maybee there some technical help..but im sure that he's skilled and have a very unique voice at the source.
u said it urself..just look how he's singining in other bands like katatonia and bloodbath...
Mac nemoy: jonas renske sux at vocals in my opinion (at drums too) clean or grunts..its doesn't matters he truly have some problems with it.
btw did u know that simen is no longer with borknagar..too bad but by what i've heard that far..the new singer seems quiet gifted too.
anyone heard the new Ulver piece? pure instrumental trip hop heh...weird...nice.

Mike doesn't use any vocal effects live. I do a lot of recording work, and am speaking with some experience here- i was 2 feet from the guy last friday night, and heard everything he did- without it going into the PA system, and it's all real, all natural, nothing is synth'd. Yes effects are used on his vocals in the syudio, but not 'distortion' as someone said. He's just naturally talented at the clean/dirty vocals thing. How he pulls it off with technical guitarplaying at the same time is amazing though.

As an aside- i was amazed by Peter the other night as well- i didn't credit him in the past as being a) such a tall dude, or b) such a great guitarist. Martin L plays without shoes too... his feet are damn fast...

Em....yes the songs of opeth are technical but the lyrics are arranged so is easy to sing and play well not easy i wouldnt recomend Opeth to someone who is trying to sing and play for the first time, but the timing he uses when he sings the lyrics is made so is not that hard to play and sing. Kinda what chuck schuldiner always did, but chuck did it even more easy ( exept in TSOP when he did some of the almost lead riffs for guitars on story to tell i was surprised to see him play them and sing at the same time live ). One example of this is Credence, it looks like it is hard but anyone with a little classical guitar training ( or alot of practice in fingerpicking if is not that formal ) and a good sense of timing can play it and sing it...of course like i said i would not recomend this to first timers play and singers cause it could be frustrating

Misanthrope:

No, it isn't hard to believe when someone puts out something that really proves it like Floskiii did.

B-lial:

Of course I know that Simen isn't in Borknagar anymore. He left them about a year ago or so. The new vocalist is Vintersorg whom I also mentioned.