How hard to you quantize your stuff?

jangoux

May 9, 2006
I used to quantize only around 60%, but with those bad drummers i record, it would still sound off. Now I do between 80 to 90% (depending on the project) and tight or untight some parts by hand to make it more natural. This way it sounds real better, tight but keeping some of the groove.

How 'bout you ? (For those who use automated quantizing, like BD or Flex time).

100% to grid always... The dynamics in the playing and the parts themselves that are being played are what create a realistic sounding performance IMO. Having every single hit played perfectly in time just sounds like a really really good drummer as long as you maintain a natural sense of dynamics in the hits. The other thing is that with modern metal, 100% on the grid is what is expected these days, anything less doesn't measure up with pro level work.

For metal 100% is a sure thing, i expected that. But how about less heavy stuff. Rock for example?

100% to grid always... The dynamics in the playing and the parts themselves that are being played are what create a realistic sounding performance IMO.

+1

although, there have been a few times where I have edited a fill to be slightly rushed, to create a sense of urgency kind of.

[UEAK]Clowd;9105790 said:
+1

although, there have been a few times where I have edited a fill to be slightly rushed, to create a sense of urgency kind of.

Some would argue it's not your place to inject emotional queues into a band's music. If they wanted it to sound rushed they'd probably play it rushed.

Some would argue it's not your place to inject emotional queues into a band's music. If they wanted it to sound rushed they'd probably play it rushed.

I would argue that 90% of bands have no fucking clue what they're doing when it comes to nuances, subtlety, dynamics, flow or structure and it is thus our job to bring these up to par.

I would argue that 90% of bands have no fucking clue what they're doing when it comes to nuances, subtlety, dynamics, flow or structure and it is thus our job to bring these up to par.

Exactly - I was thinking about this today as I'm struggling through getting a band to record tracks that are actually usable... It's basically our job as a producer to be better than the band, at almost everything but playing the actual instruments (and sometimes even at that...). We've gotta understand timing, meter, rhythm, harmonization, melody, transitions, arrangement, etc better than the bands themselves do.

I know I've had this discussion with Adam before - good engineers are basically just super musicians who don't want to put up with the bullshit that comes with being in a band.

I can't disagree, but it makes it that much more of a pleasure when you run into a band that knows what they're doing. I at least run any major changes to the feel of a song by the band first.

What about other instruments, guitars, bass, etc? I find myself having to grid everything otherwise it doesn't sound as tight as the pro productions. Not too good for the ego I might add, I'd like to think I can play pretty tight but not that tight, I don't think its possible.

If it's not metal I try not quantise anything if I can get away with it.

What about other instruments, guitars, bass, etc? I find myself having to grid everything otherwise it doesn't sound as tight as the pro productions. Not too good for the ego I might add, I'd like to think I can play pretty tight but not that tight, I don't think its possible.

If it's not metal I try not quantise anything if I can get away with it.

My drums are usually to grid (or 5-10ms after depending on the feel of the part), and my bass tracks are pocketed to the drums (5ms after on average). I generally don't quantize guitars, just have the dudes track them tight and edit to eachother.

Depends on the Band/Drummer/what they want to acheive.
If its super tech metal, its gonna be 95 - 100 most of the time,
But for more hardcore / trashy stuff, ill do about 80 ish with a lot higher exclude within.
The less the drummer sucks the lower the amount.

Anyway in July I've gotta record a band which are In fairness INCREDIBLE players buts its gonna be....
Playing live.
With no Click
To tape
Well at least for the backing tracks, overdubs in tools.
EEEEK!

Wish me luck!

Anyway in July I've gotta record a band which are In fairness INCREDIBLE players buts its gonna be....
Playing live.
With no Click
To tape
Well at least for the backing tracks, overdubs in tools.
EEEEK!

Wish me luck!

Damn dude! I know I wouldnt have the balls to do that. I rely on my edits too much.

best of luck tho! I really wanna hear this when its finished :D

I used to be 100% grid nazi but after getting my hands on some pro played midi files where its super tight sounding but not 100% grid i definatly prefer the feel of a human performance.

The last drummer i tracked was pretty sweet but he wanted everything pro sounding (so on the grid). After i did that he basicaly sounded like s 2.0 and not a human performance anymore, it took all the life out of the fills in particular its not really a problem on the main beats but 100% grid on fills sounds very robotic my .02

Damn dude! I know I wouldnt have the balls to do that. I rely on my edits too much.

best of luck tho! I really wanna hear this when its finished :D

haha yeah.
Its gonna be grimey.
Think ill probably go from the repro head of the tape machine straight in to tools.
save time/effort.

I quantize everything to the point were it sounds good.
in someparts that is 100% to the grid, in other parts its like 50%, and sometimes I just dont edit it, because it works...