How hot should I record drums?

ruckus328

Nov 2, 2009
Philly USA
Sorry, noob alert. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything on this matter. Would think that it has to of been touched on since it's such a basic issue. Wondering how hot you guys are recording? Particlarly on drums. I'm doing about -12db at the peaks, 24bit. Is this too low? Also, for you guys that are using Slate or similar, when you bounce it out to audio, what do you aim for?

No it's definitely not too low. You can be fairly conservative in 24-bit. Anything down to about -20dBFS should be fine. Remember that you want headroom when doing your mix, and it's more logical to do it this way rather than record as hot as possible, clip half your drums on the way in, and then use line trim during mixdown to attenuate it back to around -12dB anyway.

I peak at maybe -6db.. so that the hardest rimshots don't clip anyway. But I seem to get a lot of noise, using an FP10.. not sure why. But my drum samples, after a bit of compression, always have a noisy decay compared to others.. and the real tracks have this noise all the time.

If you're using Slate or whatever, it really doesn't matter.. whatever you're comfortable with. Some plugins prefer to work in a certain range, especially saturation/distortion/limiters and to a lesser extent compressors/clippers.

I peak at maybe -6db.. so that the hardest rimshots don't clip anyway. But I seem to get a lot of noise, using an FP10.. not sure why. But my drum samples, after a bit of compression, always have a noisy decay compared to others.. and the real tracks have this noise all the time.

If you're using Slate or whatever, it really doesn't matter.. whatever you're comfortable with. Some plugins prefer to work in a certain range, especially saturation/distortion/limiters and to a lesser extent compressors/clippers.

Are you using too much bottom head wire maybe? I like to keep it as low as possible to avoid bleeding into other mics. Snare sounds waaay better also.

Are you using too much bottom head wire maybe? I like to keep it as low as possible to avoid bleeding into other mics. Snare sounds waaay better also.

I mean noise, not snare decay.. if that's what you mean. Like the noise floor; its on all tracks and its high, and its consistent across my cables and mics. I think its the FP10 but I don't know how to fix it. Sorry to derail the thread a bit.

I normally record pretty hot, but that's because I plan to replace drums from the beginning. it's a lot easier to get my samples to sound right without much editing velocity if your inputs are hot. they more closely reflect the original dynamics. I know I can adjust sensitivity, and input level into drumagog and all that, this way is just easier for me.

just aim to be hitting the red most of the time, and you should be just fine

sarcasm_meter.gif