• Very Important

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • Not Important

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters
Dodens Grav said:
Vocal delivery is vastly and monumentally more important in any genre ever than the lyrics themselves.
no truer words have been spoke. this is why i just cant get into nile. great lyrics but poor unintelligible death vocals( low and muddy is not brutal). look at hypocrisy though where peter probably admits to not being the best lyricist but he so fuckin delivers that it just doesnt matter even if a guy can only understand him 75% of the time. then theirs alexi laiho who nobody can understand but he redeems himself by puttin some passion into it. devin townsend and tom englund probably take the cake though for for being able to take lyrics and bring a song to the next level by really making you feel it. listen to shitstorm of the new syl, if you don t start feeling kinda nuts at some point then your probably dead.

CAIRATH said:
My lifestyle determines my death style?
I'm madly in anger with you?

i still kinda like the first line but one good lyric doesn t make up for how crappy frantic is. what an uninspired and confused album. :yuk:

BlackMetalTyrant said:
Kreator sucks too so whats wrong with lumping them with system?
SAYING KREATOR sucks is like saying dan swano sings like a pussy on the crimson albums. both are blasphemous to metal itself and are punishable by death.

Megadeth>Slayer>Exodus>Testament>Metallica>Overkill>Death Angel>Anthrax>Sodom>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kreator.

Pleasure To Kill,Coma of Souls shits on anything Megagay will ever do EVER. Old Megadeth is poor man's thrash, the later music is some of the most embarrasing cheesy hardrock ever created on earth.. The new Megadeth sounds like 'The World Needs A Hero. I've actually heard people think it's a thrash album lol. 'Die Dead Enough' is Megadeth's most cheesy song to date. On top of that Dave Mustaine thinks he's spiritual/religious when he's just another recovering drug addict alcoholic.. who would have thought another recovering alcoholic think's he spiritual now. WOW who would have thought. I hope people send him cookies in the mail.

Dave Mustaine is confusing spirituality with bitterness.

Explain the poor man's Thrash comment, because it doesn't make much sense, especially when you consider almost every other American Thrash band, since they were among the more technical.

The Greys said:
Pleasure To Kill,Coma of Souls shits on anything Megagay will ever do EVER. Old Megadeth is poor man's thrash, the later music is some of the most embarrasing cheesy hardrock ever created on earth.. The new Megadeth sounds like 'The World Needs A Hero. I've actually heard people think it's a thrash album lol. 'Die Dead Enough' is Megadeth's most cheesy song to date. On top of that Dave Mustaine thinks he's spiritual/religious when he's just another recovering drug addict alcoholic.. who would have thought another recovering alcoholic think's he spiritual now. WOW who would have thought. I hope people send him cookies in the mail.

Dave Mustaine is confusing spirituality with bitterness.
I don't like Megadeth either. Their only two albums I kind of like are Rust in Peace and Peace Sells. All their other work is fecal. Not to mention, Dave Mustaine is one of the biggest idiots in metal these days.

BlackMetalTyrant said:
Megadeth>Slayer>Exodus>Testament>Metallica>Overkill>Death Angel>Anthrax>Sodom>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kreator.
darkane>megadeth. sorry dave.

As far as I can remember, they're much closer to Melodeath than Thrash, though I don't like them, hence I haven't listened to them in years.

Dodens Grav said:
As far as I can remember, they're much closer to Melodeath than Thrash, though I don't like them, hence I haven't listened to them in years.
i call em thrash cause i hear a big influence in the riffs but they are on the more extreme metal side of things than old school thrash bands so i guess i d call them death thrash even though the vocals aren t really death style. their new disc rules. if you can sample the song layer of lies, it kicks ass.

Back on topic. I will listen to a band with any kind of lyrics, unless the majority of the lyrics are about girls/relationships/sex. Good lyrics are an added bonus, but I will tolerate any kind of lyrics besides girls/relationships/sex lyrics.

Put simply, lyrics are most effective when they are used to accentuate the music. Not to provide the conceptual core, for when music is dependent on words it becomes superfluous, but to merely smoothen the rough edges, or at least to give the listener a nudge in the right direction.

The Tragedy Of Man said:
Put simply, lyrics are most effective when they are used to accentuate the music. Not to provide the conceptual core, for when music is dependent on words it becomes superfluous, but to merely smoothen the rough edges, or at least to give the listener a nudge in the right direction.

Agreed.

I agree with dodens that vocal delivery is important, but I think sometimes when the lyrics suck it's a turn-off...I think they definitely help make the song

The meaning as always some sort of importance for me and I often take a look at the lyrics before buying an album. I say "often" because I happen to own Jaktens Tid and Nattföd from Finntroll and I can't speak a word of swedish. In short when I listen to a song I consider the singer like any other instrument in the band. He's part of a whole and if he fucks up, everybody pays the price.