How important are vocals to you?

Marduk's vocalist is one of the best, he's vocals are unique.

About vocals, Silencer's vocalist Nattramn has very painful and torturous vocals.

I personally can't recall any band where the vocals were so bad that they caused me to stop listening to music I liked otherwise.

Metal is about guitars. Anyone who ranked vocals ahead of everything else should just give it up and go listen to pop.

I personally can't recall any band where the vocals were so bad that they caused me to stop listening to music I liked otherwise.

Me neither. Although I feel that for example if Lividity hadn't got so awesome vocals I wouldn't listen to it, their guitar work are not so good IMO but the vocals are damn great.

Another good example would be the new Cryptopsy...

I think vocals are a very important part of the music, they need to match the music and the song, I cant stand tone deaf singers and I dont like singers with soft voices trying to sing harsh songs it just doesnt sound right!
But on the same token, lemmy singing ballads just doesnt work for me :yuk:

:)I think there important, you dont have to like them you just have to be able to stand them while listing to the killer riffs, drum fills, bass lines etc.

It depends.

Death metal wise, usually no. A growls a growl (Vary as they do)
But if it's clean, or near clean, then I'm generally pretty fussy.
Actually, I'm only a little bit less fussy with death-metal growls than clean singing. I'm very demanding on both for a band to be one my favs.

Harsh vocals tend to enhance my metal experience no matter how "good" or "bad" they are, since I take in albums as a whole and the vocals usually have a distinct purpose in their interplay with the music. However, clean vocals are a different story; bands with really generic/emotionless vocals usually put me off. With clean vocals, there usually has to be some sort of idiosyncrasy or uniqueness to them for me to fully enjoy them.

Vocals can be a reason to make me lose interest in a band, example: In Flames' current vocals (up to a few albums back). The ''old style'' was the thing that had me hooked along with the awesome guitars, but the new style of vocals is just... meeeh :-/

I'm not that fussy about growls in general, but if I don't like the clean vocals of a certain band I usually stop listening. Only if the music was really something special I'd keep on listening, but this hasn't happened yet.

I prefer when the vocals are harmonious with the production on an album, when they actually add something to the music, rather than just get in the way.

Metal is about guitars. Anyone who ranked vocals ahead of everything else should just give it up and go listen to pop.
No. Guitars are really important but metal is not only "about guitars". If so - you should give up and just go listen to country (sounds stupid, doesn't it?).
Vocals matters as well. Metal vocals. And it has nothing to do with pop.

I think vocals and good lyrics are important in every genre of
metal - it depends on the band´s IMAGE(!!)and what they want to express with their music and what they expect from the audience to be..
I think that´s why SLAYER use very "strong" language and
lyrics..
I think it´s a form of self-expression:
No Slayer fan could identify themself with Slayer anymore
if they would begin to write Love-songs and change their musical style in general - the music still can be heavy but if the lyrics are about "love", feelings etc. I think no one wants to
be a Slayer fan anymore!! :lol:
anyway
there are a lot of other examples you could fill a book
with..:puke: