Looking for new music

Sporehead

New Metal Member
Nov 15, 2016
I’m a newcomer to the metal genre. I started with Iron Maiden and Metallica because of their popularity. Now I need something new, preferably more Metallica-esque, i.e., more angry, militant. And by that I mean songs like:

“Dyers Eve”
“Disposable Heroes”
“Harvester of Sorrow”
“…And Justice for All”
“Eye of the Beholder”
“Shortest Straw”
“Leper Messiah”
“Blackened”

Vocals are very, very important to me, usually the most important part of the song. I’ve tried to listen to other popular bands such as Slayer, and so far all vocalists have paled in comparison to James Hetfield in his prime. I need vocals with passion and conviction and depth, not forced demonic screaming or lazy delivery. Be natural and say it like you mean it!

I can also appreciate a good instrumental. I’m digging “Orion”, “The Call of Ktulu” and "Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)".

I need vocals with passion and conviction and depth, not forced demonic screaming or lazy delivery. Be natural and say it like you mean it!

Dawn Crosby (R.I.P.) on Détente's "Recognize No Authority" and on Fear of God's "Within the Veil":

Exodus is a good rec, seconding it. Assuming by militant you mean masculine and aggressive, but still clearly human and soulful. I get the impression you're looking for tough guy metal without it being garbage.

First of all you need to accept that there is no one as good as James in his prime. (See my post below before derailing this thread)

Most songs also include growls, fucking quality growl though, but some dont...

Overall probably too much screaming for you but you need to check out The Haunted, the albums with Peter Dolving, he will give you passion, and hate, no one means it more than him. Revolver is a fucking masterpiece, but a bit violent. :)

This is a fucking monster

Last edited:
Reactions: Carpe Mortem
Sure. I knew someone would comment on that.
What I mean is that people coming from Metallica looking for other bands with someone like James will fail.

Reactions: CiG
Vocals are very, very important to me, usually the most important part of the song. I’ve tried to listen to other popular bands such as Slayer, and so far all vocalists have paled in comparison to James Hetfield in his prime. I need vocals with passion and conviction and depth, not forced demonic screaming or lazy delivery. Be natural and say it like you mean it!

It's not the music, it's you. Keep listening to Slayer until you get it.