How is Taake?

Its called a "mungiga" for an english translation: http://lexikon.nada.kth.se/cgi-bin/sve-eng
gives:

Svenskt uppslagsord
mungiga mungigan mungigor subst.
ett folkligt musikinstrument

Engelsk översättning
Jew's harp

And a reply to those (mainly americans I notice) who dislike Taake, you have probably listened enough, or maybe, just maybe you're not into norsk black metal at all.
For those who like Taake, do listen to Ragnarok as well, since Höst has joined them on vocals on their last record, very good, but more like Marduk, Watain and such bands, in other words fast-paced black metal of [random grim word]

derbeder said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i actually just found out that i have the album with me. the sound i am talking about is on the 3rd song from 3:06 on. i don't know what it is, but it sounds more like a synth is making the string boing sound.
that song is just not good. there are some really good melodies on the album, though.

Maybe because that you are not in so close contact with the traditional nordic culture. The "mungiga" anchors the song firmly in norwegian soil and tradition, as it is an very old instrument, someone less daring in musicianship might not have used it.

Stilgar said:
I haven't heard that particular song, but I think mouth harp can sound really nice in metal if used correctly. Bathory has a few examples of this.

It's still not called a mouth harp, it's a Jew's Harp if anything, why not just call it a "mungiga" since no one outside scandinavia will never see one, nor use it.

My Arms said:
Too bad Taake isn't pronounced very similar to take ;D

According to my friend's Norsk girlfriend, it's pronounced "tor-keh", and correctly spelt as Tåke.

Stilgar said:
I haven't heard that particular song, but I think mouth harp can sound really nice in metal if used correctly. Bathory has a few examples of this.

As does Otyg... works well on Otyg (old Folk Metal band of Vintersorg's), but I think it's not easy to fit it in with more aggressive, faster Black Metal.

thruldom said:
For those who like Taake, do listen to Ragnarok as well, since Höst has joined them on vocals on their last record, very good, but more like Marduk, Watain and such bands, in other words fast-paced black metal of [random grim word]

Ragnarok is a band I've been meaning to check out. Hordagaard and Jotunspor are good also.

Norsk Black Metal is great, but I think it has had it's time.. there *are* still some good Norsk bands though.

The new creative frontier for Black Metal imo is Slavic (Pagan, NS), Central Asian (Pagan), Polish (Satanic), French (Satanic) and some (I can't believe I'm admitting it) lesser known American material (minimalistic/Satanic)... Slavic chiefly is the most creative at the moment. These cultural diversities working their way into Black Metal provides very interesting and new results.

The Hubster said:
The new creative frontier for Black Metal imo is Slavic (Pagan, NS), Central Asian (Pagan), Polish (Satanic), French (Satanic) and some (I can't believe I'm admitting it) lesser known American material (minimalistic/Satanic)... Slavic chiefly is the most creative at the moment. These cultural diversities working their way into Black Metal provides very interesting and new results.
well, i think the most creative bands in black metal come from Germany nowadays. Secrets Of The Moon, Lunar Aurora, Dark Fortress or Helrunar are good examples. especially the last two albums by Secrets Of The Moon ('Carved In Stigmata Wounds' and 'Antithesis') and the last three by Lunar Aurora ('Elixir Of Sorrow, 'Zyklus', 'Mond') are breathtaking.

Lunar Aurora kick serious ass! Mond is a great album. Dark Fortress are great also! I enjoyed "Séance".

If you like the above two bands, be sure to also check out Urgehal's latest album "Goatcraft Torment". It doesn't break new ground, but a stunning piece of work neverthless. Excellent fast paced satanic Black Metal.

The Hubster said:
According to my friend's Norsk girlfriend, it's pronounced "tor-keh", and correctly spelt as Tåke.

As I said earlier in this thread its spelled both Taake and Tåke because aa = å in Norsk, aa is just an older (gr1mmer) way of spelling it. And its pronounced Taw-keh :) and why are we saying Norsk instead of norwegian?

My Arms said:
As I said earlier in this thread its spelled both Taake and Tåke because aa = å in Norsk, aa is just an older (gr1mmer) way of spelling it. And its pronounced Taw-keh :) and why are we saying Norsk instead of norwegian?

I couldn't be bothered typing "norwegian" :D

PS now say out aloud "taw-keh" and then "tor-keh". Do you hear a difference? No. Which means I said the same thing you said.:rolleyes:

My brother bought a Jaw Harp, because some french guy we met had one... he also rode a unicycle...

c.jpg

a.jpg

French people are weird...

But where I live in a small town in England you can pick up a Jaw Harp cheap from a local music shop... so I don't think they are rare at all... :lol:

Pretty funky instruments though! And look weird when you play it!

French people, unicycles or Jaw harps? :lol:

Apparently it really hurts when you bang the metal part against a tooth, and it can even chip your teeth!