Your top 10 Black Metal albums

Applying a term like "corpse paint" to Mercyful Fate is an anachronism. Yes, their lyrics were at the cutting edge of Satanism in the early 80's, but so what? Bonded By Blood probably took lyrical influence from Mercyful Fate's Melissa, but since you consider Flames of Hell (a band of no creative significance whatsoever) to be first-wave black metal I don't see why that matters. Do you consider Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits to be black metal albums?

Mercyful Fate was bombastic metal that used operatic vocals and compositions not that unlike black metal bands of today. They also used corpse paint, and were satanic. Bonded By Blond is thrash in music, thrash in look, and terribly unsophisticated music. Fuck off fail troll.

And I suppose you consider very early death metal to just be hardcore punk and/or grind, right? Because genres appear overnight with no development.

Mercyful Fate was bombastic metal that used operatic vocals and compositions not that unlike black metal bands of today.

Please elaborate on how the music of their first two albums differs so markedly from, say, Powerslave.

And I suppose you consider very early death metal to just be hardcore punk and/or grind, right? Because genres appear overnight with no development.

Of course not, but if one is generations removed from the thing one is supposed to have created, you're not really a part of said thing. You may as well call whatever band that influenced Steppenwolf first-wave traditional metal.

EDIT: "Of course not" in response to the sarcasm of your second sentence. Some early death metal (Necrophagia, for one) was just as much hardcore as they were death.

Your not seeing the point here. The black metal aesthetics were the compositions, the corpsepaint, and the satanic imagery and/or lyrical content. I'm going to stop feeding the troll though, it's just getting plain annoying.

Your not seeing the point here. The black metal aesthetics were the compositions, the corpsepaint, and the satanic imagery and/or lyrical content. I'm going to stop feeding the troll though, it's just getting plain annoying.

The compositions of the first two Mercyful Fate albums are genre-defining, musically twisted, and otherworldly traditional metal. It's evil sounding music, but it still isn't black metal. The other things are basically extraneous and no other sub-genre of metal is defined along such lines.

HamburgerBoy, if you had a brain you'd realize that in actuality bands like Burzum, Mayhem, etc made their own genre and stole the name Black Metal from bands like Venom, Bathory, and Mercyful Fate, which were the FIRST wave of Black Metal.

It's not worth trying to explain anything to this guy. His head is clearly in his ass.

You couldn't explain it when a person of (I assume) higher repute questioned you on the first page, so I doubt you are capable of explaining anything at all.

HamburgerBoy, if you had a brain you'd realize that in actuality bands like Burzum, Mayhem, etc made their own genre and stole the name Black Metal from bands like Venom, Bathory, and Mercyful Fate, which were the FIRST wave of Black Metal.

Firstly, wouldn't all of those bands have stolen it from Venom? Secondly, did Helloween and Gamma Ray steal power metal from the tr00 and original progenitors of the genre, Metallica?

EDIT: Wait a sec, you just admitted that Burzum and Mayhem play a different genre of metal from Venom and Mercyful Fate. So your entire argument is based on whether which wave deserves the name? Because in that case I don't honestly give a shit.

Are there tribute albums to Exodus with bands like Sacramentum and Emperor on them?

I think not.

/me np: Sacramentum - [A Tribute To Mercyful Fate #02] Black Masses

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL You just said Metallica is the true originator of POWER METAL? Your a fucking retarded troll. gtfo

Uhhh, I don't think he was seriously making that claim. It looks more like he was using it for a reductio ad absurdum type of thing, but w/e.

I'd hope so. In all honesty I do find it hard to detect sarcasm on the internet. But in reality, the first wave of black metal is far and away different from the second wave, but they are still both under the same genre of Black Metal.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL You just said Metallica is the true originator of POWER METAL? Your a fucking retarded troll. gtfo

fp3r84.jpg

First-wave power metal, right there.

But in reality, the first wave of black metal is far and away different from the second wave...

Yes, finally you...

...but they are still both under the same genre of Black Metal.

:erk:

Are there tribute albums to Exodus with bands like Sacramentum and Emperor on them?

I think not.

/me np: Sacramentum - [A Tribute To Mercyful Fate #02] Black Masses

Dodging your point: Are there tribute albums to Exodus at all?

But seriously, you can find grindcore tributes to Iron Maiden too.

I can understand why people call Mercyful Fate black metal, but I just dont hear it and dont really want to classify them that way. I see it as bands like deep purple... yes, they bordered on the sound, they helped created the sound... but I just dont hear black metal when I listen to dont break the oath or melissa, I just dont. I hear damn good traditional heavy metal with a sinister feeling and satanic lyrics.

Because you are not listening to it in context.

In context, it's even less black metal to me.

In context, it's a 80s heavy metal band, with a lead singer obsessed with Alice Cooper. (listen to Welcome to my Nightmare, then Them, one night, back to back)

No, no...historical context. You can't just call it whatever it was retconned into being called just because you feel like it; history still matters, you know.

No, no...historical context. You can't just call it whatever it was retconned into being called just because you feel like it; history still matters, you know.

The same historical context that demands AC/DC and Aerosmith be recognized as heavy metal bands?

Are you dropping the whole "reductio ad" and "-um" parts and going for flat-out, balls to the wall fucking absurd now or what?