How is the name "Opeth" pronounced?

Pale Odysseus

AKA Grizzly Simpson
Dec 21, 2003
Knob Lick, MO
I know to some of you this may seem like a very stupid question, and it may be one you have seen before, but I still would like an answer. It has been bothering me that I don't know exactly how to pronounce one of my favorite bands' names. BTW, don't even bother responding to this thread if you're just going to flame me.

Well, I know this sounded like a stupid question, and I assumed that "oh-peth" was the was to pronounce it, but then I read Mikael's biography about where the name came from and he mentioned that originally the name was "Opet" in Wilbur Smith's book, and that they just added the h. I thought that perhaps the h was silent. Didn't know, but thanks for answering my question.

OH-Peth
very simple...now the question is this because this is really getting to me: how do you pronounce Mikael's last name PROPERLY? i know the Å is pronounced almost like an O but...you know...so, how do you say Åkerfeldt?

I had the same question, about Mikael's surname...I always thought ik was Eakerfeldt, with the "a" pronounced as in "bad". But now I think it's Oakerfeldt....