how low can you tune a 7

Could probably work okay... maybe. I know the Ibanez 8 strings (tuned to F#) are 27" scale. So I'd think it'd be possible with a proper setup for it.

You'll need to find a string gauge that can be achieve proper intonation for your scale length. This may mean filing the nut to get it to fit. If you're using a double locking system this would be easier. Just string it up like a standard 8-string without the high E.

I've had my 7 in drop F before, which is G standard with the lowest string a step down. At that point, the bass guitar turned to absolute mush. So I stopped doing that, heh.

Thinking you might run into some intonation issues using a 26.5" scale.

I went from a 7 to an 8, and am glad I did, as it solved a lot of probs I was having playing a down-tuned 7.

You can get away with it, for sure. Would the tightness of the sound be ideal? Not really. I've played the Schecter 8 string Hellraiser before and felt the tightness of the low F# string tonally was sub-optimimal.
As it is, a low A string on a 25.5 inch scale guitar is pushing things, so I honestly wouldn't go any lower than G# on a 26.5 inch scale.
If you wanna go to F#, you should seriously think of getting at least a 27 inch scale guitar, but preferably an even longer scale

If you get strings thick enough you won't have any issues. I'd an Epi LP with a low E string that had a decent tension, intonation and good tone. It took a gauge .90 string but it worked great.

Back