question about alternate tuning for 8 strings

pattonfreak1

Bored Member
May 24, 2009
Saint Louis, Mo.
I am getting ready to purchase a Schecter 8 string with a 26.5" scale and I've heard a few reports of the scale not quite being long enough for the low F#, resulting in it being "floppy".
So I intended to tune the low F# up to G to compensate.
Would it be okay to tune the rest of the strings up as well or will the extended scale just make the higher strings ridiculously taught?

What could I do to combat the floppy low f alternately?
Thanks in advance.

If you are a heavy string bender, you may find an issue with the top 3 (G,B and E) having a fair bit of tension.
Tuning up will pretty much be the only way to combat the floppy string issue.
Changing string gauges wont change the fact you have a 26.5 inch scale, and personally, I think G is the lowest one should go on a 26.5 inch scale, and even then it's pushing it (ideally I would not want to go lower than A on 26.5 inches if I could help it).
For a low F#, you'd want at least a 27 inch scale.
If you want the best of both worlds, look into an Agile multi-scale 7 string.
25.5 inches at the top, 27 inches for the low F# string.

If you are a heavy string bender, you may find an issue with the top 3 (G,B and E) having a fair bit of tension.
Tuning up will pretty much be the only way to combat the floppy string issue.
Changing string gauges wont change the fact you have a 26.5 inch scale, and personally, I think G is the lowest one should go on a 26.5 inch scale, and even then it's pushing it (ideally I would not want to go lower than A on 26.5 inches if I could help it).
For a low F#, you'd want at least a 27 inch scale.
If you want the best of both worlds, look into an Agile multi-scale 7 string.
25.5 inches at the top, 27 inches for the low F# string.
That's what I was afraid of hearing... (About the high strings).
Hmmmm.
Agiles are outta my price range dammit.
Out of curiosity, what is the tuning of those multiscales?

Yeah, it boggles my mind why the 8-string schecters are 26.5

I have a 7 string schecter that is 26.5 with a 0.74 on it, and it gets hella floppy when tuned down to F#, G is the lowest it can go, exactly as Harry said.

no reason why not. As with any change of string gauges or serious tuning change, there'll be quite a bit of setup work to be done
So you're saying that tuning all the strings up a half step on a 26.5" scale would be do-able?
My main concern is that the tension on the high E string is gonna be more taught any ways due to the scale.
I just don't wanna be breaking hi-strings left and right, so I was wondering if there was some weird alternate tuning I coud use to compensate for the tension.
EDIT: not necessarily weird but something more plausible

Going for an 8 string w/ a longer scale would solve this problem. Something w/ a 28" scale or longer.