Question for low tuning guys

korpse pop

Horde of Undead Vengeance
Jun 22, 2005
What is the lowest tuning I can go for without having to use wound 3rd string? I want to tune low but also want to be able to play leads with lots of bends. We're talking about a 24,75" scale guitar.

Well this depends on gauge and tuning. I play drop C on my Les Paul and do not use a wound G string. But, only my 6th string, which is a 56, is downtuned two steps.

Depends on how low you would like to tune and which gauge you are comfortable with. I can't fathom going any lighter than a 56 on the low E now that I've gotten used to it...at least on a 24.75" scale axe.

-Joe

I tried to get a sets with unwound 3rd strings to work at B standard for a long time... It just didn't work out, especially on shorter scales. But I actually like wound 3rd strings, so I had no problem switching.

I think the lowest I've ever gotten successfully with unwound 3rd strings on my 24,75" guits was C standard...

Didn't Carcass use plain 22 or something as 3rd string in B-tuning? How did they got it to work?

Didn't Carcass use plain 22 or something as 3rd string in B-tuning? How did they got it to work?

Mike Hickey: Carcass tunes down to B. By that I mean we take a normally tuned guitar and then drop each string down two-and-a-half steps, so they go: B, E, A, D, F#, B, low to high. To counteract the string slackness created by this tuning, we use pretty heavy gauges--.012 to .056, I can't remember the ones in the middle, but the G string's a plain .022. B isn't the most practical tuning in the world, but it's probably the heaviest, and we're stuck with it whether we like it or not!
Steer: It's like playing something that's almost halfway between a guitar and bass, actually. We've tuned this low ever since the band started, because it's so crushing--there's nothing else quite like it. Having said that, it has a lot of shortcomings in terms of tone because it's a very unrealistic tuning; we've really had to struggle to make it work. Since we've been doing it so long we can just about pull it off, but to be brutally honest, I think D, or, at a push C# [C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#, low to high], are the best tunings.

The 25.5 scale length on their Ibanez helped.

There is LP and a Flying V in their Heartwork video, and Heartwork guitar sound kicks ass, did they use Gibson type guitars only in the music video and record with Ibanezes?

Mike Hickey: Carcass tunes down to B. By that I mean we take a normally tuned guitar and then drop each string down two-and-a-half steps, so they go: B, E, A, D, F#, B, low to high. To counteract the string slackness created by this tuning, we use pretty heavy gauges--.012 to .056, I can't remember the ones in the middle, but the G string's a plain .022. B isn't the most practical tuning in the world, but it's probably the heaviest, and we're stuck with it whether we like it or not!
Steer: It's like playing something that's almost halfway between a guitar and bass, actually. We've tuned this low ever since the band started, because it's so crushing--there's nothing else quite like it. Having said that, it has a lot of shortcomings in terms of tone because it's a very unrealistic tuning; we've really had to struggle to make it work. Since we've been doing it so long we can just about pull it off, but to be brutally honest, I think D, or, at a push C# [C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#, low to high], are the best tunings.

Thanks for that info.
Why would a 25.5 scale length help? I don't really understand what scale length influences. Fret spacing?

I'm a n00b when it comes to low tunings, as I pretty much play in Drop D and E standard and make those sound as heavy as possible. I've always found low tunings inconvenient (you have to use higher gauge, then set up the guitar, and almost everyone I used ot jam with was in standard). What affect does having a wound G really have? Less bend, but heavier sounding?

A wound G sounds fuller and less twangy, which is WAY better for chording IMO. And the 25.5" scale length (rather than 24.75") simply means that the string is being stretched out a longer distance (from bridge saddle to nut) to get to the same pitch, so it's tighter.

And hahahaha, you beat me to it MT01! :D Certainly not saying 24.75" with low tunings is unuseable, I did it for years, but now I never wanna go back!

So theoretically, you can have a 20" scale guitar, but the strings would be uber-slacked?

Is there any tone difference between 25.5 and 24.75, or is it just a tension issue?

Why do bigger strings (heavier gauge) really help with slack issues?

Perhaps I'm being retarded, but I seek easy answers at the moment.

So theoretically, you can have a 20" scale guitar, but the strings would be uber-slacked?

Is there any tone difference between 25.5 and 24.75, or is it just a tension issue?

Why do bigger strings (heavier gauge) really help with slack issues?

Perhaps I'm being retarded, but I seek easy answers at the moment.

In order: yes, not really (just tension), thicker strings = harder to stretch, thus tighter

I already have a 27" seven string (Ibanez Rg2077XL) but it's not my thing after all. Playing a Gibson is just much more fun. I had a set with a wound g string some time ago but that sucked ass for leads.
I'm looking to buy a bunch of strings online soon and that's why I'm asking btw

Oh man, if you're going 24.75", with an unwound G I would NOT go any lower than D-standard - twang city :ill: