Tuning a 24,75" scale to B?

MetalSound

Nov 14, 2006
I know this has been covered often here but not exactly this question.

I´m considering to buy a LTD EC-1000 but our band tunes down to B.
Currently I play a Schecter Hellraiser and have no problems with tuning and intonation. The Schecter scale is 25,5". But playing on a shorter scale is easier for my short fingers. :erk:

So what do you think? Is there a problem in tuning that low?

I remember seeing In flames playing ESP (which is 24,75" too I guess) and tuning to drop A so it should be possible?!

yeah man its totally possible. I play on a 24.75"scale and also play in B. B standard at that. I used to use 12-56 gauge strings, but I found that they fucked with the neck a bit, so now I use 11-52 gauge strings and my guitar plays perfectly.

I've used this tuning a long time ago on my les paul, and generally you shouldn't have problems with the intonation. mayve you will need thicker strings, because the string tension is significantly lower on a 24,75" scale guitar - i've used something like 0.64 - 0.14. Drop A shouldnt be a prob too.

Yeah, it's doable, but you're still gonna get some annoying flappiness - I used my EC400 tuned to C for years with 13-56 and later 12-52, and when I got my Ibanez Prestige (25.5") setup and started using it with the same strings in the same tuning, well, I'm never going back :)

I play my Les Paul and my Dean ML, both 24,75" scale, in B standard. I found that 7-string sets with wound G-strings work best for me in that scenario. So, yeah definitely doable... Thinking about adding a baritone to my collection, though.,

I used to use 12-56 gauge strings, but I found that they fucked with the neck a bit, so now I use 11-52 gauge strings and my guitar plays perfectly.

+1 to that, 11-52 strings are perfect for me tuning to B.

We tune to B, and coincidentally I played my first show on a 24.75" scale (my new Dean V) yesterday :)

It's no problem, you just need thicker strings. I use 13-56 (wound 3rd) but they feel just a bit too loose, since I'm used to having 13-56 on a 25.5" scale in B. So I'm considering changing to 14-62 or something like that.