Question for low tuning guys

I wasnt commenting on the semantics of it, but the actual note. Your tuning to D. .026 in 'standard' sets. Tuning a plain .022 to D sounds crap. I string my B tuned 6 with 7 string sets and leave off the high e string, it sounds better with a wound d, like on every normal guitar. Its not 'ideal' for leads? Thats why theres a 7 string :)

My point was trying to say using a thick plain string in B is like stringing up a standard guitar to e with 2 wounds/4 plain. Or something. *shrugging guy*

It's not a wound g string, its a wound d string. If you were tuning to E would you use a plain D? It sounds crap honestly. And the longer the scale the better for downtuning to a point. I like baritone 6's and 7's, but always think 7's should be longer. My 26.5" hellraiser just wasnt long enough for Bb without goin .070. ~27" with a 0.68 sounds about right.

This is a very good point IMO, and how I've always thought about it myself.

I've been playing 27" sevens for about a year, they're certainly the best thing ever. I used to use 010-046's and a 060 B (standard tuning) but I'm now using a 056, since Elixir doesn't make a 060 guitar string. I also have a bunch of 068 Elixirs that I like in A but in B they're sort of muddy IMO. I like how the 056 seems to "cut" better and has that... BAOUUWW ¯\(°_o)/¯ but it's still playable because of the 27" scale.

BAOUUWW ¯\(°_o)/¯

Back when I was still using 25.5" sevens, I used to use 010-052's and a 068 B.