Question for low tuning guys

Yeah, it's all preference of course, but I can't stand it! (ironically, I seem to prefer a thicker set of the top-3 strings than most, but a thinner bottom string). And I definitely don't think they use baritones, though I haven't really paid 'em much attention in the past couple of years

Yes, all the albums up to Wages Of Sin were in B, I don't know what string gauge they used back then, and if they used a wound 3rd string.

Edit: I assume they used the 12-56 set with an unwound G that was mentioned for Carcass, when they were in B.

It's not a wound g string, its a wound d string. If you were tuning to E would you use a plain D? It sounds crap honestly. And the longer the scale the better for downtuning to a point. I like baritone 6's and 7's, but always think 7's should be longer. My 26.5" hellraiser just wasnt long enough for Bb without goin .070. ~27" with a 0.68 sounds about right.

It's not a wound g string, its a wound d string. If you were tuning to E would you use a plain D? It sounds crap honestly. And the longer the scale the better for downtuning to a point. I like baritone 6's and 7's, but always think 7's should be longer. My 26.5" hellraiser just wasnt long enough for Bb without goin .070. ~27" with a 0.68 sounds about right.

Oh come on, it's typically common to refer to the 3rd string as the "g string", no matter which tuning you're in...

oh I am a bass player so no shred missing here, lol!

plus to me real baritone starts from no less than 28", so it's at least one inch and a half more than most 7 strings.

Heh I have no problem with baritones really, infact I got one after id been playing for about a year, I didn't understand why the strings were so thick...bad choice.

Ive never played anything past a 27" scale, wouldnt mind trying a longer 7 but my 26.5" Hellraiser isnt too shabby so I can't complain. I might up the gauge someday but im still skeptical about a .70.

Personally I stick to standard, Bb at a push but a few guys on here said they use a .70 on top, like Jeff Loomis who tunes to Bb. Im used to "shredding" on fairly weighty strings not a problem, but surely .70 must just feel stupidly tight with minimal crunch on the bottom end?

24,75" Caparison Horus tuned down to Drop B with elixir's 0.12-0.68 string set (g string unwound).

I've never played better in low tunings, it's just awesome.

Did you need a setup on your guitar after that? Due to the neck tension increase?

Im tempted to try it but I don't want to A) Spend the money and fine I don't like it and B) Cock the guitar fit up, in which case I need to take it to a tech.

Personally I stick to standard, Bb at a push but a few guys on here said they use a .70 on top, like Jeff Loomis who tunes to Bb. Im used to "shredding" on fairly weighty strings not a problem, but surely .70 must just feel stupidly tight with minimal crunch on the bottom end?

I have a different perspective so I cannot advise you on that matter [shred et al], but 0.60, 0.62 should be tight / high tension enough on a hellraiser C-7.

p.s. 0.68 usually fits on the hellraiser without any mod, maybe have a go at that gauge if you wanna try heavier strings. or buy a 10-52 set and add a single 0.70 string if you dig Loomis...

Did you need a setup on your guitar after that? Due to the neck tension increase?

Im tempted to try it but I don't want to A) Spend the money and fine I don't like it and B) Cock the guitar fit up, in which case I need to take it to a tech.

I got the guitar from the store in E with 0.9-0.42 strings and stock pickups, so I took it to my tech and told him to give me back a killer machine.

I paid and he gave it to me fully set up. I would never dare on putting 0.12-0.68 strings on any guitar myself as it would surely need a setup and i'm a noob when it comes to that...

Best 70€ spent :worship: