How many heavy metal T-Shirts do you own?

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Okay ... I obviously need to enter a 12-step program to stop this addiction ... :zombie:

While cleaning out my closet for my annual spring cleaning, I decided to organize my metal t-shirts once and for all. While doing this, I thought it might be fun to count them ...

I was shocked to find I have purchased 142 heavy metal shirts (concerts, bands, etc.). Of those 142, 15 are MANOWAR, an astounding 11%. Runner up is BLIND GUARDIAN of which I own 8 shirts, 6%.

Between a basic T-Shirt price ($20) and concert T-Shirt price (approx $30), I'll take the average of $25 which means 142 X $25 is $3,550.

Good thing I don't drink, I couldn't afford another addiction! :loco:

So since I got a late start as a metal-head, I'm sure that there are some people who have a lot more. I'm dying to hear numbers ... bring 'em on!

I generally try to get 1 t-shirt of each band I've seen. Doesn't always work out that way depending on cost at concert and what money I have spare. Think I'm at around 20. I've also got two hoodies.

time to go in the Garage and get out the container holding all the shirts. Most are never worn as they are from the 80's and girly shirts weren't avail as well as they used to sell only Large and XL. My Maiden and Scorps tees I keep seperate in my guest room closet. I'll post a count soon. Nice thread btw.:kickass:

I dare not count, but I've got a feeling the number is somewhere around 50. I know I have about 10 shirts each from Angra, Helloween, and Blind Guardian, and a few from most of the other bands I like.

Ironic that you should make this post today. I spent my whole afternoon, too, organizing my shirts because I had them all fucked up in different containers. I just counted 351 (including hoodies), but I'd give or take 5 as I could have missed some.

Also, I just dropped 35 pounds so I'm thinking that I'll be going on a shirt binge now that I can fit into a size L or XL. I'm fucking thrilled about that and I'd like to get down to where I can comfortably wear any 80s size L shirt.

I didn't check to see who I had the most from, but I'd guess that I have the most from Pretty Maids, Hammerfall, Sinner, Sentenced and Helloween.

I was very happy to re-discover shirts from Steeler (axel rudi pell), Headhunter, Sargant Fury, Glenmore, and X-Wild down in those bins (I couldn't fit them comfortably in the past so they kind of got lost).

Rough estimate BEFORE moving to Texas: 250
Rough estimate AFTER moving to Texas: 30 :erk:

Most of them came from the bands I had hosted. The most would have to go to KISS, Def Leppard, and Queensryche.

What about knit hats? Can we count those as "wearable band merch"? They're a great accessory that I wish I had more of. I only have 3 now, Symphony X, Dream Theater, and South Gate, all of which I have totally worn out! :)

Dark Funeral
Belphegor - Lucifer Incestus
Dream Theater - Awake
Pantera
Outworld
Death - Leprosy
Death - The Sound Of Perservirence
Nile - Black Seeds Of Vengance
Steve Vai - Morely Pedals
Be'lakor
Wintersun
Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back To Life
Obituary
Immortal - One By One
Jackson Guitars
Psycroptic - The Scepter of the Ancients

What a great idea for a thread!

I'd guesstimate I have around 100-150 from all genres...but I think I'll inventory all of them soon and get an actual count, as much for me as for this thread. Some of them are quite rare now (old Rush tour tee's, Dio, etc.) :)

I'd do it tonight but I've been working all day at the GA Rennaissance Festival, and I have to go back and do it again tomorrow-- err, today. :kickass:

I used to have a bunch, then I got fat(ter) and none of them fit. So I sold them all. Now I'm back down to where XLs fit...

... and I barely have any shirts. Iron Maiden Live After Death, some generic Manowar thing, Napalm Death From Enslavement to Obliteration, Dio Holy Diver, Nightingale logo shirt, Reverend Bizarre "We Die You Follow" shirt (awesome!), plus five LotFP shirts of various designs. I still have a couple of Cradle of Filth shirts but I don't wear them.

I miss my Cynic shirt.

I’m down to just a handful.

I tossed out a ton of very well-worn ones a few years back (Dokken, Queensryche, Judas Priest, Stryper, etc.) in one of my numerous (and usually ill-fated) attempts to organize my house. A couple of months later, I read an article that said kids were buying “vintage” metal shirts for big bucks. :cry:

Moral of the story: some of you are sitting on a veritable gold mine!

time to go in the Garage and get out the container holding all the shirts. Most are never worn as they are from the 80's and girly shirts weren't avail as well as they used to sell only Large and XL. My Maiden and Scorps tees I keep seperate in my guest room closet. I'll post a count soon. Nice thread btw.:kickass:

I am dying to hear your report ... 80's shirts?! If you want to sell any of them, you know the guy to contact! :zombie:

Ironic that you should make this post today. I spent my whole afternoon, too, organizing my shirts because I had them all fucked up in different containers. I just counted 351 (including hoodies), but I'd give or take 5 as I could have missed some.

Also, I just dropped 35 pounds so I'm thinking that I'll be going on a shirt binge now that I can fit into a size L or XL. I'm fucking thrilled about that and I'd like to get down to where I can comfortably wear any 80s size L shirt.

I didn't check to see who I had the most from, but I'd guess that I have the most from Pretty Maids, Hammerfall, Sinner, Sentenced and Helloween.

I was very happy to re-discover shirts from Steeler (axel rudi pell), Headhunter, Sargant Fury, Glenmore, and X-Wild down in those bins (I couldn't fit them comfortably in the past so they kind of got lost).

Great post, thanks for responding! Also it looks like I'll be seeing you at the next T-Shirt Addicts Anonymous Meeting! :lol:

351 that's a damn fine number. I'm assuming you started a lot earlier than I did. I've only been collecting since the early 90's.

At some point in time, people are going to have to start submitting photos of their really cool ones ... just thought of that ...

Rough estimate BEFORE moving to Texas: 250
Rough estimate AFTER moving to Texas: 30 :erk:

Most of them came from the bands I had hosted. The most would have to go to KISS, Def Leppard, and Queensryche.

What about knit hats? Can we count those as "wearable band merch"? They're a great accessory that I wish I had more of. I only have 3 now, Symphony X, Dream Theater, and South Gate, all of which I have totally worn out! :)

AUGH! Sorry that you had to give up your collection to move, that sucks.

Knit hats ... LOL! I think I Have one ... a Metal Church one lying around somewhere ... :loco:

What a great idea for a thread!

THANKS! :)

I'd guesstimate I have around 100-150 from all genres...but I think I'll inventory all of them soon and get an actual count, as much for me as for this thread. Some of them are quite rare now (old Rush tour tee's, Dio, etc.) :)

Ah RUSH, what a band! I had an old Roll the Bones shirt that eventually gave up the ghost and I got rid of it, but that's as early as I went back. If you have any Fly by Night ones, I'll just cry! I wish I would have seen RUSH back in the day...

I'd do it tonight but I've been working all day at the GA Rennaissance Festival, and I have to go back and do it again tomorrow-- err, today. :kickass:

You work at the GA Renaissance Festival??? You are my new hero! The MN Renaissance Festival comes around in late August and I always go at least 3 times ... and yes, I dress up. :lol:

Moral of the story: some of you are sitting on a veritable gold mine!

VERY TRUE. At one point in time, Ragstock, a used clothing store in my area, was selling a bunch of well-worn metal shirts for a few dollars. I should have bought them all because a year or two later, the market exploded and those same worn, faded-to-grey shirts are now going for $20-$30 each.

Since when did metal get categorized as collectible and why didn't they send us all memos! :mad: