How many prog fans be in the orchestra/band/symphony/etc?

ApolloFC

Sax-Man
Sep 18, 2009
Greensboro, North Carolina
I'm actually going to school to be a composer for soundtracks with recording engineer being the job that pays (hopefully)

I'm quite interested in doing some covers/arrangements of some interesting tunes... Devin Townsend has caught my eye lately - the low brass/strings would have lots of fun with his tunes.

The only problem is that these kind of choices are sort of out of the comfort area for most concert bands/orchestras/etc and I may have to form my own symphony in the future (I'm quite serious about these kinds of things - I'm actually already writing an arrangement of Queen's The Show Must Go On for my local group featuring vox/guitars/bass)

This is basically what I'm interested in knowing: How many of you guys/gals play instruments in a classical / jazz setting and would be willing to be in a more Prog metal symphony (or at least a symphony that actually uses electric guitars/basses etc). I'm not asking you to join or anything like that, I'm just seeing who'd be interested.

I was in band/orchestra through high school and college. I also did a little bit of stuff like playing in the orchestra pit for musical theater/plays, both for school and in the community. I really enjoyed it, but I haven't done it in a long time simply because once you're out of school, it's hard to find a good way to do it (I'm sure it's out there, I just don't know where). I've done some paid stuff, but never truly professionally. As far as playing rock or metal arrangements for orchestra, it CAN work, but personally I would rather play classical music. Considering how much rock & metal are a part of my normal everyday life, in an orchestra setting I usually prefer to play orchestrally-written music. My school band did play the song from Mr. Holland's Opus which involves a drumset playing a rock beat and electric bass, which was what I played.

I did have the symphony tribute to Queen CD a while back, but I've forgotten forgot how it was.

Sounds like a great idea, I think there are people out there who would do it, but as you said, it is out of the comfort zone for a lot of people and some may just need a little push. I played percussion in symphonic band & orchestra in college, which was about 5 years ago. Me personally I know I would be excited to play in Prog Metal Symphony! I actually recently got the MalletKat so that I could start playing for fun (and to keep me sane) and stumbled into a band that wanted a fuller sound. Now if I could only master how to work the MalletKat, midi is such a nightmare for me! Best of luck!

I was a high school band director for 13 years and now teach elementary music (A LOT less stress) and play trumpet. I play in my church orchestra, just finished our Singing Christmas Tree and I have another church gig this weekend. I'd love to play something like this. I'm a big prog fan.

Can you believe.. I used to play saxophone? Not just any saxophone! Oh no.. my 5' self was playing baritone saxiphone! I was inthe jazz band, once upon a time. Yup. I do miss it. I haven't played my old alto in years, because it's broken, but if the opportunity arose I'd totally pick it up again.

But when it comes to classical music, I used to sing for the Washington Opera. I have a classical background, but I only took voice lessons AFTER I was hired by the opera. This was in high school. Since then, it's been metal. Before I got into opera, when I was in high school and younger, I performed gospel, r n' b.. that sort of thing.

Can you believe.. I used to play saxophone? Not just any saxophone! Oh no.. my 5' self was playing baritone saxiphone! I was inthe jazz band, once upon a time. Yup. I do miss it. I haven't played my old alto in years, because it's broken, but if the opportunity arose I'd totally pick it up again.

But when it comes to classical music, I used to sing for the Washington Opera. I have a classical background, but I only took voice lessons AFTER I was hired by the opera. This was in high school. Since then, it's been metal. Before I got into opera, when I was in high school and younger, I performed gospel, r n' b.. that sort of thing.

I'm a sax player :D Did baritone cause no else wanted to in the marching band. Just had a jam with some friends a week ago; was playing the hell out of my alto - i was unplugged of course vs amped guitars/keyboards for like 2-3 hours.. so much fun.