How Many Records Have Opeth Sold To Date?

I read somewhere that Ghost Reveries sold about 90,000 copies worldwide, and that is with Roadrunner's marketing machine behind it. I also read in an interview with Mikael that Still Life has sold at least 30,000 copies in the U.K alone, so that's pretty promising. I don't know about a million albums, that is a rather large amount.

If that's correct, I would say they sold between 400 000 and 500 000 in total. I'd like to see how Watershed is doing, it must be more than Ghost Reveries.

id assume most opeth fans dont have more than 3-4 albums
i think some of you dont realize it, but having their entire catalogue is pretty insane

Scoping calculation time:

Assumptions:
-5000 people per gig average
-Every person has purchased 10 Opeth albums
-20 different gigs around the world

5000 person/gig x 10 albums/person x 20 gig/world
= 1 million albums

Now you may say that 5000 per show or every person owning albums is pushing it, but you cannot tell me that there aren't way more than 20 gigs with different people worldwide. Also take into account that fans may buy an album more than once.

I only own 3 Opeth albums as real copies... But then again, I've never seen them live either so my 3 are kind of a bonus to that calculation :lol:

Seriously, I don't think they have quite reached 1 million, but I can't be sure.
Still, it should be more than 500,000 for sure.

Edit: I looked for some numbers (None I confirmed, just searched some old topics from this forum).

I counted the numbers together and made estimations for sales of some albums.... and I'd say that Opeth have sold approximately 445 000 records.

I just want Mike to come and say if I came even close! :p

Damn it, forgot about those... I'll have to start again. I'll get back to you in half an hour.

Everyone is ignoring my calculation....

Trust me! It's around the 445 000 mark! This is carefully calculated estimation and I actually believe it could be close.

Here are some Soundscan figures for albums sold (this is in the US only) :

as at June 27th 2005 - I have seen more recent figures I think from around the Gigantour in 2006 but those are not still available ... so add a few thousand to these.

Orchid (1995): 22,306
Morningrise (1996): 23,332
My Arms, Your Hearse (1998): 28,867
Still Life (1999): 23,377
Blackwater Park (2001): 63,251
Deliverance (2002): 47,510
Damnation (2003): 49,951

also "Ghost Reveries" has sold around 90,000 copies as of quite recently.
um, 2000 first week sales for the Roundhouse Tapes, don't have any other figures

and Watershed has sold around 34,000 so far ...

so we could estimate about 450,000 maybe 500,000 total US sales.
possibly double that for a worldwide figure? so they could have sold about a million in total!