How many units has The Formation of Damnation sold?

Yeah, we were talking about the US market only, wondering if there's any chance they'll finally get a gold record. Obviously they've sold a few times more records worldwide.

Any information about the sales in the States, worldwide, anywhere? Also, how close to gold are Practice, Souls and Ritual? For years they've been rumoured to be 450-485 thousand. Shouldn't they be making it by now?

I wonder where the sales levels are at too. Granted it doesn't really matter, but when you have bands like Slipknot and Lamb of God selling big numbers you'd think Testament and Megadeth and Slayer would be doing the same or better. Unfortunately the older bands don't seem to be "connecting" as much with some of the younger metal fans.

Yeah, unfortunately. We were all super happy when TestAmenT sold 11.000 copies of FoD on the first week and a couple of months later Lamb of God (not the worst of the metalcore bands, but nothing original or terribly talented) debuted with 70.000 copies sold! That's a huge difference and I don't see the trends change for better, to be quite honest. The so called revival of Thrash Metal seems to have reached its peak and it's not even half as popular as mallcore or other emo stuff. This is depressing, but I hope the bands are used to it and that the lack of mainstream popularity will help them create quality music...

I still don't know what metalcore is but Lamb of God considers themselves a Thrash band.And don't forget LOG is not a new band they were building up their popularity during the 9 years Testament was absent a time that Metal was just starting to flourish again.I'm not surprised the newer bands are doing better,A kid that is 19 now would only have been 9 when Testaments last album came out.And many of the original thrash fans got old had kids and lamely fell out of the metal loop.It's all about timing.I hope the two bands will tour after all LOG says Testament is a huge influence and have total reverence for the band ( as they should ) I have also heard Chuck, Eric and Alex give some praise to LOG.Thrash and Emo are two completely different animals,when you get into a Thrash band you must have already excepted that you are in a niche and because you make music that makes people think you won't be on the radio or Mtv or the SNL's .Emo ,I'm pretty sure is manufactured by Disney and made specifically to target young teens that want to be adults but are still stuck in the " I just want to jump around and not think " stage of childhood .At least that's how I see it..but I've never been accused of being sane! :)

Whatever the numbers are now, with all of the touring and promotion that's been going on, hopefully the next record at least doubles what Formation has done.

That would be really good, Sole Reaper. The guys are working really hard to broaden their fan base and some of their actions seem to be pretty clever.

LoG's obivous main influence is Pantera.I really don't care about their music,but I like them as persons,and most of all I like that most of the guys in the band(if not all of them) are VEGETARIANS,and also their approach about animal cruelty.(I know,I'm not too metal when it comes to this sort of things).

I do here some Pantera in there, mainly the guitar tuning,I only know that I saw an interview on Uranium a couple years ago and they said that everything came down to Testament and old Megadeth.
I wonder if they are in PETA with the singer from Shadows Fall.
I know they are not Virtuosos but I do here improvement with every album more and better solos etc..at least they are not getting worse!

I've been wondering if anyone has more current info than the 50k that'd been mentioned in this thread 2,5 years ago. I haven't seen more updates since then.

I'm curious to know what all of their records have sold thus far. Not just in the U.S. but also worldwide. I'm not even sure if the band knows themselves. Hard to keep track. I guess the only true source would be from the record label. Nielson soundscan might have a realistic estimate. I bet you Testament's Practice What you Preach has gone Gold and nobody even knows about it. It's not like Atlantic Records is keeping track of anything or would actually make it public.

I'm expecting The Dark Roots of Earth to even surpass what Formation did. The band has been touring with amazing packages for the past 3 years all over the world. The Testament name is out there probably more than ever. This might very well be the most popular Testament have ever been in their career and deservingly so. Well merited that's for sure.

I agree the upcoming album may be a way bigger commercial success than TFOD. Testament's been working hard to reach new fans for the past couple of years. The last album was highly acclaimed and well promoted and the tours they've had have helped them reach new markets. In addition to that, they seem to have a well-thought promotional campaign planned for the new one. Nuclear Blast does a great job in promoting its bands and the success of TFOD ensured them that it pays to invest in Testament. The music will probably be even better too. Therefore, I'd be surprised if Dark Roots wasn't to sell better than its predecessor.

As for the sales data, the bands do have their sources. Some of the quotes in this threat prove that. Other thing is how accurate information they have. I agree that some of their albums (PWYP, Ritual, maybe SoB) have likely sold enough (or almost enough) to be certified gold, but due to the fact that SoundScan hadn't been introduced as late as in 1991 and since Atlantic isn't interested in applying for having them certified, Testament may never get the gold records for them.

Us, the fans do not have access to such information, unfortunately. There used to be a page called metal sludge a few years ago, which published "sludge scans" with information on album sales. Testament was included in these a few times. It hasn't been updated for 6 or 7 years, though.