How many units has The Formation of Damnation sold?

So the interview linked by Pascal finally sheds some light on the worldwide figures. 300.000's not bad actually. I hope the new one surpasses it by far, though.

I just can't even wait for the new Testament album. I have no doubt in my mind it's going to blow everything out of the water. Thats whats great about Testament they are very consistent and never put out a bad album. I am sure it will be like TFOD but even heavier and more brutal. :kickass::kickass:

For those of you wondering if Formation has sold 100k units in the US alone well it has. I read an interview from Eric Peterson in Decibel magazine and he did mention this.

Thanks to Pascal we got another update. I'm glad it's hit 100k already, as it's a really good acomplishment these days. The gold status of Formation isn't in store for the next 15 years it seems, but who knows what life will bring. All it takes is a Grammy, the next album doubling what DROE did, some good videos on MTV, a tour with Metallica and there you go ;).

BTW, what exactly Eric said? Was he asked how many copies of Formation were sold and gave the 100k number himself, or only confirmed that it reached that status (just now, some time ago?)?

Bands make their money mostly off of touring these days. Sales figures mean jack shit thanks to illegal downloading. Most metal fans are more loyal to their bands and actually buy the album they love. Still the situation is grim.

Children of Bodom said that they are now on autopilot and only release albums as a excuse to to get out on tour. I believe more bands will follow suit. Hopefully Testament won't.

Since we've talked about worldwide sales of Testament albums a lot here, please let me post a link to Wikipedia, according to which Testament has sold a total of 12 Million records worldwide thus far: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testament_discography (Megadeth has 38 Million albums sold and Slayer 45, BTW - we were also speaking about it here).

I have to admit this exceeds my expectations by far. It'd be cool if it were true. I'm wondering what is the source of such information, though.

I'm not sure those numbers are correct for any of those bands. I've heard Megadeth has sold over 20 million and 38 is almost double that. I doubt Slayer has sold more than Megs but I could be wrong.