How much have Tool and Opeth influenced the new Katatonia album?

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
Okay, first things first.

I have not heard the new album yet, as it my local store is still expecting the CDs. I do not download albums either, but I've read dozens of reviews (by both long-time Katatonia fans and various professional critics) citing Opeth and especially Tool as references on the new songs.

Nothing wrong with either band, as I love Opeth to death (yes I love them even more then Katatonia) and think Tool is one of the most revolutionary bands of the last 10 years along with Radiohead.

So what does everyone think?

Thanks for your comments!

NP: Amorphis - Eclipse

I hear a little bit of Tool in Their latest album...Allthough I can't hear any Opeth what so ever..

there is surely no opeth. but i do have to agree with some subtle tool influence. not too pronounced, however. this isn't too surprsiing given that blakkheim lists tool among one of his influences (or bands he listens to).

Jonas' vocals sometimes sound like Maynards(tool)..

and some guitar riffs -for example in Soil's Song- sound like Opeth's.. But Opeth sometimes sounds like Katatonia too (forex.reverie-harlequin forest)

i've noticed some NEVERMORE-style huge riffs on the new album, not rip-offs for sure, but quite similar, and it doesn't take away the originality of the great cold distance.

Why do they have to be influenced by either, unless they stated that they have been influenced by these bands in some way on the album. Why can't they just play what they feel/want and it just be considered Katatonia and not other bands?

The main riff on "Leaders" DO sounds (not a rip-off) like the main riff in Tool's "The Grudge"...that's the only thing I can hear about this, no Opeth thanx to Mother Earth !

I believe I have seen Tool listed as favs of Anders and Jonas, but that doesn't mean Kata aspires to have a sound like them..

I think its more that Kata dig making music that doesn't conform to the concept of your average metal band. I am also a huge fan of Tool, and I do see similarities (which I might add I am very happy with :) ) but I will not take anything away from Kata for this. After all, THEY are the ones writing and composing the music.

That is why I appreciate Kata so much... they keep refining and reTOOLing their sound to their specific liking (lol i had to do that :lol: ).

Meh, whatever, Kata's integrity is safe with me.