How much have Tool and Opeth influenced the new Katatonia album?

Well, being a Tool fan in the past I can honestly say that I don't see any evidence of anything Tool-ish on the new Katatonia album. As for Opeth, I think the only thing they have in common musically is Akerfeldt on Brave Murder Day...other than that their musical directions have diverged quite clearly.

i aint play this said:
i've noticed some NEVERMORE-style huge riffs on the new album, not rip-offs for sure, but quite similar, and it doesn't take away the originality of the great cold distance.
yeah me too, especially the sextuplets beat that comes in at 2:58 in Follower reminds me of nevermore...
It's a good thing IMO

Aprilhäxan said:
o_O in which part?!
0:00 - 2:22 for example. the whole guitarwork in this part sounds a bit like Opeth to me. just imagine Mike instead of Jonas on the vocals. it would make a fine Opeth song, imo

Well, it's katatonia, that's for sure :D. I'm not a big fan of either Tool or Opeth. (note: I'm not saying that they're not good). But even If there were some parts in songs that remind to someone of theese bands, this doesn't matter at all. All bands are influenced by each other and this doesn't mean that it will affect their sound. Katatonia is unique and it will always be. Someothers said that there's something that sounds like Nevermore in some songs, it sounds good to me :) even If I haven't heard the song.
The next week the album will be in my hands 90%, but even then I wouldn't be able to say If there's influence by Opeth or Tool as I'm not a fan as I mentioned. I simply don't care and probalby I will be characterised as an ''asshole'' for waisting the others time by reading this.

Hypnos said:
0:00 - 2:22 for example. the whole guitarwork in this part sounds a bit like Opeth to me. just imagine Mike instead of Jonas on the vocals. it would make a fine Opeth song, imo
I still can't hear it. Maybe that's because I'm not the biggest Opeth fan in the world and I don't want to hear it, but I don't think guitar work is that much alike:Smug:

About the bands compared to kata in this thread...

Tool-i love tool, an extremely talented band that can please all kinds of metalheads, sarcastic & intelligent lyrics, great singer, killer drummer, etc.

Nevermore-Definetely not the power metal garbage that infests the metal world. An awesome technical modern thrash/power metal band

Opeth-The greatest prog metal band of all times in my opinion, i adore them as much as tool, mike is genius

So, as you can see, i don't think it is unhealthy to compare katatonia to great bands, as long as people don't say stupid things like ''plagiarism'' and etc.
And katatonia owns all of these bands, we all know this...

Aprilhäxan said:
I still can't hear it. Maybe that's because I'm not the biggest Opeth fan in the world and I don't want to hear it, but I don't think guitar work is that much alike:Smug:
it's definitely not an Opeth-ripoff. fo me it just sounds a bit like Opeth on 'Ghost Reveries'. it's not a big deal and i don't complain at all

the only Tool reference i can think of is that the atmosphere of some songs, and Jonas' singing especially, can bring Maynard to mind at times, but rather A Perfect Circle than Tool.

one of my friends heard "a Tool influence" in the opener Leaders (and in that one only), so that might be the connection too. someone on the other thread mentioned the drummings, so that might be it.

as for Opeth, the only connection that could be made would be the layers of guitars and the thickness of production, how every arrangement has "multiple layering".

you simply cannot hear during first 5-10 listens what the hell is going around there in the background of the tracks.

for example, the chorus of My Twin and the layers of guitar melodies in the backround; mind you there is no single keyboard on the album (mellotrone aside), yet the guitars are made to sound like one.

if a statement such as "a cross between Opeth, Tool and The Cure" will turn someone off, that's their own problem.

i like July best simply because to me it seems Katatonia are breaking new grounds here with that one.

cheers

Hypnos said:
it's definitely not an Opeth-ripoff. fo me it just sounds a bit like Opeth on 'Ghost Reveries'. it's not a big deal and i don't complain at all

the only thing it sounded like opeth was the last part of the song soils song, after the second chorus part, besides that, i dont know what youre talking about.

My perspective as a new Katatonia fan and old Opeth and Tool fan:

I don't hear Tool so much. The vocals are great, but aside from that commonality, I don't hear much of a resemblance to Maynard! I'll have to listen again with that in mind, but it didn't ever occur to me while listening on my own.

I DO hear some Opeth-like moments, though. It's mainly in a few guitar lines, and it's not very often. It has something to do with the pull-offs, open strings, and syncopated rhythms. And it sounds like Ghost Reveries-era Opeth, not, say, Orchid or Morningrise.

I'll listen more carefully and maybe post again with specifics.

hm... yeah... i have to say that katatonia were influenced by necrophagist... YEAH FOR SURE!! why? because i heard a note that sounded just like the one in the second solo part of "fermented offal discharge"...

c'mon guys! it's just stupid to analyse every riff and to guess which background a song had or which idea was going through the head of it's writer... maybe katatonia were influenced by a band from far beyond south-timbuktu!

or by a situation!! for example: Anders saw an depressive ape with self-esteem problems masturbating on the streets of stockholm and he got an idea!

hell who knows!?