How much have Tool and Opeth influenced the new Katatonia album?

^^and who the hell is analysing every riff here? we're just pointing out some OBVIOUS, or at least, LOGICAL similarities with other well-known bands, just details, i can't understand what is so fucking bad about it...nobody is trying to guess what the members of the band were thinking, if they were eating hot dogs, or if they fell from a treehouse when they wrote the songs.

i aint play this said:
i've noticed some NEVERMORE-style huge riffs on the new album, not rip-offs for sure, but quite similar, and it doesn't take away the originality of the great cold distance.

Wich ones exactly?

As for the Tool-Opeth theme.. I must agree the first part of oconsternation sounds a bit opetish, and a funny thing is that when i heard for the first time Ghost of perdition by Opeth i went like wow i love that chopped riff proggression.. so much tension there... Then when i heard soil´s song i said hey that reminds me of ghost of perdition, but although those chunky chopped riffs are pretty similar theya re used in a very different way.. although i found it strange since well katatonia and the opeth guys are close friends right?.

Well the intro of Ldeaders do sound a bit like the first part of The grudge but well.. that same the grudge isnt quite original itself, it is a simple vocal melodic progression i believe.. oh and yeah i am a big tool fan...

So in conclusion.. The great cold distance sounds like... What it is suppossed to sound given that Katatonia is being influenced by opeth and tool, as much as opeth by katatonia, and i dunno about tool...

Discouraged+One said:
the only thing it sounded like opeth was the last part of the song soils song, after the second chorus part, besides that, i dont know what youre talking about.
for me there's nothing Opeth-like in Soils Song. but listen carefully to the 0:00 - 2:22 part in Consternation and imagine Mike Akerfeldt on vocals. i'm sure this part could have been placed on Ghost Reveries and noone would even notice a difference...

Exiled said:
Wich ones exactly?

As for the Tool-Opeth theme.. I must agree the first part of oconsternation sounds a bit opetish, and a funny thing is that when i heard for the first time Ghost of perdition by Opeth i went like wow i love that chopped riff proggression.. so much tension there... Then when i heard soil´s song i said hey that reminds me of ghost of perdition, but although those chunky chopped riffs are pretty similar theya re used in a very different way.. although i found it strange since well katatonia and the opeth guys are close friends right?.

Well the intro of Ldeaders do sound a bit like the first part of The grudge but well.. that same the grudge isnt quite original itself, it is a simple vocal melodic progression i believe.. oh and yeah i am a big tool fan...

So in conclusion.. The great cold distance sounds like... What it is suppossed to sound given that Katatonia is being influenced by opeth and tool, as much as opeth by katatonia, and i dunno about tool...

which ones? well, the same exact part mentioned in vincent j's post, that riff in follower could've been on nevermore's enemies of reality. The ending of the itch and some of rusted, both have groovy guitars that sounds a lot like nevermore( this time, dead heart in a dead world), not only the sudgy parts, but the faster parts too.
I still think that absorbing nevermore influences is great for katatonia. And i still hear a brilliant katatonia too.

i aint play this said:
which ones? well, the same exact part mentioned in vincent j's post, that riff in follower could've been on nevermore's enemies of reality. The ending of the itch and some of rusted, both have groovy guitars that sounds a lot like nevermore( this time, dead heart in a dead world), not only the sudgy parts, but the faster parts too.
I still think that absorbing nevermore influences is great for katatonia. And i still hear a brilliant katatonia too.

Well this is true.. the strange part is that well im a huge Nevermore fan, but somehow i didnt cach those.. i suppose that if one only listens without trying to find resemblesness they just slip by.

Well cheers.. Nevermore Rules.. and Katatonia Rules.

I certainly hear a good dose of both Tool and Opeth on the new Katatonia album, and I personally think it sounds killer. Nothing wrong with being influenced by other bands without losing identity.

The drum tone has got to be the best Katatonia ever, not to mention the godly performance. Kudos to the band.

NP: Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

there are some opeth influences on the new album and certainly some big Tool influences on the last two albums, no rip-offs, noone's talking about that, but a big influence from Tool on change of style from LFDGD to Viva emptiness is quite clear, there's nothing wrong with it and nothing wrong with recognizing it....and the influences of Opeth on TGCD, even if much more subtle, are there too, not only on Consternation....i think the use of ninth chords and triplets (typical and characteristic from opeth' sound) make that feel....and for those who radically deny any comparison with Tool, just hear Leaders and compare it with the grudge.....there's a similar long scream with a similar riff behind it on boths songs....both great songs....from two great albums.... sorry for my english, by the way....:erk:

Don't know about Opeth, them swedes sound all alike, and you can't call it influence, it's just the way they handle things over there. But a Tool vibe is definetly there IMO. Not really an influence, but a vibe. And it probably comes from the drumming. More rhytm-tricks on TGCD then ever on a K-album if you ask me.