Where Does Katatonia Rank?

MountainDweller

Under The Dark Moon
May 1, 2001
Back in the Hellhole called Texas.
Was just thinking about my favourite bands and how I'd rank them at this point of time. For years Opeth was probably at the top of the list with maybe Tool and Katatonia following. But I'm also finding it hard to really decide because some bands I like just as much as others. So, what's your current top 5? I'll think this out...

1). Cold
2.) Katatonia/Tool (tied)
3.) Diabolical Masquerade
4.) Opeth
5.) Foo Fighters/NIN

Funny how two of my top bands for years are barely on my top 5 now, though I still like them a lot, obviously. I still think the Foo Fighters are great and Dave is a really nice guy who'll treat a fan as if he's known them for years, but I just don't feel their music as much lately. Decided to add NIN to this as well. They may actually rank higher than Foo Fighters, but I can't decide.

I've sort of been in denial about Opeth dropping down my list as I've supported them for years doing my own footwork to get them heard when nobody knew who the hell they were, but I guess I just have to admit, they just don't do it for me like they used to. I think they started falling off around "Blackwater Park". I thought BWP was subpar to previous releases at the time it was released but still liked it a lot as it was the first release since I had become a fan, but I honestly think it's better than their last three efforts now. The music is still great, but they just don't take me away anymore.

Diabolical Masquerade is just fun to listen to and although not serious, it manages to take me away, so I love it. I really hope Blakkhiem finds inspiration to get it going again.

Katatonia have always been in my top 5, but they haven't disappointed me with any release and I still feel their music (although each new album usually requires about 3 spins before it sinks in). Tool...I'm not sure if they could ever let me down.

Most people here probably wouldn't like Cold because they're very basic rock. No fancy playing or crazy guitars and drumming. They get better with each release and I really feel it. Currently holding strong at the top for me after their latest release.

This turned out to be a long post. Sorry. Anyway, post your top 5 if you wish.

Hmm, My Dying Bride were my ultimate favourite band for quite a while and though I'm still fanatical about them, these days I seem even more in love with Katatonia ever since I bought BMD about a year ago and this promopted me to get the rest of their discography and pay more attention to the CD's I have. In my view Katatonia are just unparalelled, on a different plain to everyone else and there are some amazing bands in existence as well as them. I guess my top 5 would be...

1. Katatonia / October Tide
2. My Dying Bride
3. Lacuna Coil
4. Skepticism
5. Opeth / Anathema / Rapture

But gah it's sooo difficult, especially to put them in order...too many bands o_O...

this week:

1. Explosions in The Sky
2. Pelican
3. Opeth
4. Ulver
5. Impure Wilhelmina

--
alltimes:

1. opeth
2. katatonia
3. novembre
4. agalloch
5. gy!be

1. Bloodbath
2. Sentenced
3. Opeth
4. Katatonia

I try to leave number 5 blank. There are loads of bands that could easily fill this space, but there's always something amazing to be discovered.

1. Primordial
2. Orphaned Land
3. In The Woods
4. Katatonia

these are my faves. there's a lot of bands for #5 spot:
Opeth, Dornenreich, Hollenthon, Agalloch, Nevermore, Madder Mortem, Morgion, Root, Diabolical Masquerade, Anathema, Novembers Doom, Nile, Behemoth, Moonlight, Gåte, Evoken, Esoteric, The Provenance, Ancient Rites, Lake Of Tears, MDB, Iron Maiden, Mourning Beloveth, Skepticism, Unholy, Void O Silence...

whats in my 5CD/DVD player This week-
Opeth - ghost reveries
Pelican - the fire in our throats will beckon the thaw
Megadeth - the system has failed
Mastodon - leviathan
and Nile - annihilation of the wicked

1.katatonia
2.my dying bride

... I can't finish, some bands that I used to love are making crap albums nowadays, and i'm always trying to discover new good music. it's better to list a top 5 album list (or era) which i don't want to put the effort into right now

Though my ranking is changing constantly [with my mood, my new CDs, any concerts and so on] ...

...Katatonia stays definitely in first place...
after that Dark Tranquillity, Finntroll, October Tide, Bloodbath... and Backyard Babies [yes'n I'm proud of it ;-P] as my alltime-faves in any order or disorder...

MountainDweller said:
Most people here probably wouldn't like Cold because they're very basic rock. No fancy playing or crazy guitars and drumming. They get better with each release and I really feel it. Currently holding strong at the top for me after their latest release.

I like cold alot. Especially the first two albums. I think the fact that there is no crazy guitars and stuff makes the music better, because the melodys and feel are there in its place