How much time does each metal genre have left before it becomes so stagnant it disapp

One Inch Man said:
Like I said before (somewhere), I'm not throwing away my old metal CDs or saying "fuck this music," but when I look for something innovative, which yes is very important to me, I'm not going to be lining up at the music store for the newest Judas Priest album. Notwithstanding nostalgia of course, since the last "return to form" Megadeth album rocked my socks. As with damn near everything, there is always an exception to the rule. :D

Come on, all you've done is drawn two groups: old and new. Talk about extremes...so there is NOTHING in between? It has to be either Ulver like progression or Judas Priest reunions? Gah! :tickled:

Why not just take everything? Or, on the contrary, be as intricately selective as you need to be. It's ok to listen to Slough Feg back to back with Isis - there aren't any rules here.

But to say that the metal scene is dying (either you or speed saying this) and needs hardcore to save it and help increase sales or whatever is just ludicrous. :loco:

Hey, Slough Feg isn't exactly the LEAST innovative band out there!

I think the long and the short of it (whatever that means) is that you listen to an album, if you like it, keep listening, if you don't, toss it, and go on listening. If you come to the point where you're so saturated with the genre that you can't enjoy any new releases, take a break and listen to something new to you, come back to it in a few months and check something out, see if it was just a phase. Could work out well for you!

I highlighted Slough Feg as an example of a band that wear their love for heavy metal on their sleeves, do not feel the need to incorporate hardcore to win the mallcore crowds over, and would go down well on this year's OzzFest given half the chance.

Some people would call them stagnant for those same reasons.

Black Winter Day said:
I agree more along the lines with JayKeeley. While I think NAD and speeds' arguments are perfectly valid, I think they are a bit exaggerated. The way I see it is this:

1) There are two "forms" of music: the progressive and the conservative.
2) What's progressive and pushes boundaries is almost guaranteed to be interesting, but not necessarily to be good. Nevertheless, it is this pushing of boundaries that I admire and, consequently, these are the bands that I listen to the most.
3) What's conservative is more reliant on pre-set styles MORE SO than the above (meaning: there is nothing that is "original" and "un-original", only degrees.)
4) These two schools are NOT in opposition with one another. Since when did we all become Hegel here? One line shoots off in the distance, the other remains more or less flat. Why should the two ever merge or conflict?
5) Both progression and conservatism are vastly important to metal.
6) Bands like Neurosis, DEP, Isis, OMG, etc. ARE representative of bands (of -core origins) that are pushing the bounds of metal. However, to say that these bands are "saving" metal is just taking a microscopic view.
7) As long as these two schools of music (and thought) exist, nothing, especially metal, needs "saving"! As I see it, it's a win-win situation.

Thus spake Zarathustra.
Whoa. Like yes, there it is. And there was much rejoicing. Good to have you back, splitter. :loco:
JayKeeley said:
Come on, all you've done is drawn two groups: old and new. Talk about extremes...so there is NOTHING in between? It has to be either Ulver like progression or Judas Priest reunions? Gah! :tickled:
True, and that's how I always think. You see how often I say white > black etc.! :loco:

Seriously, BWD totally owned this discussion. Cool.

Ah so you are back Black Winter day, nice to see you.

For BWD as it philosophical ranting and not to be taken too seriously:
yes I suppose my argument is influenced by a very progressive Hegelian dialectic; and you are more or less taking the Nietszchean classical based concept of eternal return based on the present. But your black and white delineation is too simplistic. And my whole idea is pretty general too. I should really shut up, Im beating a dead horse.

fotmbm said:
He probably CAN do lots of things, it's just that at least I don't see anything (radical or highly innovative) that needs to be done to thrash metal.

Same goes for DM. Fuck all that "Innovation is needed, or else the genre will die out" stuff, all I want is some killer riffs and brutal vocals.

So can we all stop talking about this hardcore madness now? I feel like I've been stuck in a bad dream as of late (in my own goddamn forum as well). Fucking hell, you know times are bad when you have to find solace in the GMD. :loco:

speed - since metal is dead for you now, how long do you predict it will take to format your hard disk? :D *rimshot*

God I dont know, they are sitting in spindles. I guess I have like 6 or 7 spindles of metal, maybe 75 albums on my computer; and only like 30 actual store bought cds-- all classics like Slayer, Dark Angel, Celtic Frost Sabbath, Maiden etc, except for a few that never get played anymore. Yeah I dont play most except for classics or ones I really dig for whatever reason.

How about you? how many do you have that are just sitting around never hitting the cd player or winamp.

I have about 700 metal albums (not including random CD-Rs or promos), and about 300 non-metal that I've collected over the years.

I rotate them week in, week out, so if I travel, I'll take about 10 albums with me. If I don't travel, I'll have a pile sitting at my desk at home (which the wife hates because it's not really a desk, it's our dining table, haha).

I'll usually mix up the selection with new promos, recent purchases, good albums that I need to listen to much much more often, and a couple of old classics that I can just throw on if I need something familiar to sing along with (usually whilst driving), haha.

I also have CDs in the car and bathroom. My bathroom has a CD rack that holds about 30 CDs, and these also go through rotation about once every 2 weeks. By the time it takes me to have a shit, shower, and shave, I can get through an entire album. :)

I have about 10 albums on MP3 format. Some I'll delete, some I'll buy eventually.

About six months ago, I got rid off about 100 CDs. Sold them off in one go. I'll probably be making another list of CD's to sell/trade, but I can't imagine there would be more than 35 CDs I need to part with right now.

And there you have my ritual pattern. :D

Man. 1000 CDs. I wouldn't even know where to put that many CDs. I venture to say I'd have probably 750-800 CDs if I didn't sell any of them off. But as is, I have about 580 CDs right now, which suits me perfectly, as I hate having "fat" collecting dust. I got rid of about 50 these past weeks.

I think I have like 5 CDr's, but these are of stuff that is only available on CDr or an old demo tape.

I have 0, zero, zilch, don't-want-none-of-that-bullshit downloaded albums.

EDIT: 583 http://www.cd-tracker.com/item_list_v2.asp?UserID=2248

I have four floors in my house - this includes a finished basement. I have the space (although I may not have the shelf space as such). I purposely limit my shelf space just so I don't feel the need to fill it.

My non-metal CDs sit in the basement for the most part. Once in a blue moon I'll go fetch something for the kitchen. We'll listen to non-metal during dinner, heh. But it's cool, in one evening we can go through some Simon & Garfunkel, Falkenbach's latest, and some Jethro Tull and everyone's happy.

Yeah, I suppose if I really need to, I could get my 700 down to 600 albums, but I'm still on the fence with some. Hmm, so that would be 600 'solid enough to keep' albums of which about 10 are "desert island" life savers...

Right, so that's where this thread has drifted now? I'm game.

Around 700 CDs, 100 CD-Rs (which includes downloaded albums, because I just burn them to disc right away). If I listen to an illegally acquired album more than a handful of times out of enjoyment, I buy it. Most, and I mean about 90 of them so far, get one or two spins and then gather dust. Even if they don't outright suck, I know which ones I'll never bother with ever again, the last example being Immortal.