How much time does each metal genre have left before it becomes so stagnant it disapp

One Inch Man said:
Most, and I mean about 90 of them so far, get one or two spins and then gather dust. Even if they don't outright suck, I know which ones I'll never bother with ever again, the last example being Immortal.

Have you listened to all your CD-Rs now then? What did you think of Meads of Asphodel? And this will be the last time I ask. :tickled:

I have about 100 albums. I would not care to have a large collection. I buy 5 – 10 CDs each year and spend much time with each one. Haven’t got an interest in anything less than what I would call spectacular (generally otherwise known as “shite”).

In fairness, I have friends who own mailorders. This affords me the opportunity to hear a great deal of music. Having been afforded that opportunity, I realise how little of it I would miss. Thus the small collection.

Quality over quantity is a cliché. But I know many people who spend more time reading about/talking about/searching for new music to purchase than they spend actually listening to music. Albums in their collection that they’ve heard once or twice. People who can’t remember what they own. People who purchase something and are immediately onto the next. It works for them. So good on them.

I enjoy knowing albums like the back of my hand. Which is rather tan and scarred, thanks very much.

Haven’t downloaded anything before.

Btw, I treat CD-Rs like 'real' CDs. I'll give each a minimum of 5 listens before deciding. Some are instant (Mar de Grises, Ecstatic Fear, Melechesh's Djinn) and some take a few listens (Thunderstorm, Zero Hour, Pelican) etc. Some don't do anything for me right away, but it's hard to say that I'll NEVER listen to them ever again unless I've given them a number of spins. I keep fearing that I'm going to miss something incredible just through lack of proper attention. If I had given Skepticism only one or two chances, I wouldn't own all their discography today! Plus, Orphaned Land started as an 8/10 and now it's getting to be a 9.5/10 these days (and telling myself that helps alleviate the hesitancy in buying airfare to Atlanta this September). :D

Demilich said:
...and sell off some cds for cheap!

Yes! We'll/I'll have your junk! :p

And as for numbers...only about 300-odd over here (including downloaded/burnt/whatever...I still listen to them whenever/wherever so they go into the collection and are treated as equals :loco: ) but I've still managed to run out of storage space >_< ugh!

I used to be one of those people who buy, buy, buy, though I always spent a fair amount of time listening to each album. I never understand people who have unlistened-to new music. The first thing I do when I get something new is throw it in the player and crank it up.

I also don't understand people who accidentally buy an album twice, because they don't know what they own. Man, I'm at work and bet I could name over 90% of my 583 CDs with no problem.

These days, I sell a helluva lot more than I buy. Cliched that saying may be, but oh so true.

Saint Trauma said:
Quality over quantity is a cliché. But I know many people who spend more time reading about/talking about/searching for new music to purchase than they spend actually listening to music. Albums in their collection that they’ve heard once or twice. People who can’t remember what they own. People who purchase something and are immediately onto the next. It works for them. So good on them.

Good points.

Downloading en masse has killed the necessity to take an album seriously. One or two listens and you're done. If you don't like it, just hit delete.

Also, you're right, people are so obsessed with collecting, they are addicted to "buying" more than "listening".

Also, we review promos here. I just assume that to write a thorough review, you need to have listened to something several times.

I enjoy knowing albums like the back of my hand.
Me too, which is why I spend so much time listening and listening again. I don't give up on something until I know for sure, or that it belongs in a genre that I can't stomach so I don't even need to try it.

By the way, note that I have 700 metal albums, collected over 15 or more years. Yes, the CD medium hasn't existed for that long I know, but I re-bought several CDs of albums I used to own on vinyl or cassette.

fotmbm said:
He probably CAN do lots of things, it's just that at least I don't see anything (radical or highly innovative) that needs to be done to thrash metal.

Thank fuck somone said it. Some people don't want some genres to be fucked with. There are PLENTY of underground thrash bands, etc etc, that are keeping thrash alive for people that like it, and for every other person, heres a big FUCK OFF. This whole thing popping up about having to reinvent all these genres, and all that, blahbidybloobloo, doesn't apeal to me. THRASH METAL to me is one type of music, a certain type of music, that has many artist creating songs in the same style. Its like one GIGANTIC band, but with a little more variety then that of course. Look at the Art of Dieing by deathangel, shit I LOVED the standard thrash songs (like thrown to the wolves) and fucking did not enjoy the "inovative" garbage at all. I get Thrash, to hear Thrash.

speed said:
No composer tries to recreate baroque classical.

Are you retarded? You can't "recreate" baroque music because its refering to a time period. Plenty of modern composers create music that would be considered Baroque, and is called that, if it was created in that time period...baroque is not a genre like thrash, black, or death metal...At All. It would be like somone today saying they play 80's music...THEY DON"T, because it is not the 80's, just like its not 1600-1750.

JayKeeley said:
Have you listened to all your CD-Rs now then? What did you think of Meads of Asphodel? And this will be the last time I ask. :tickled:
I have about 20 I haven't listened to, but I have people that just keep giving me more and more all the time, so the number might be higher.
Saint Trauma said:
Yep, been there. I would buy 3 albums from the same group because I really liked the one, then I got stuck with an entire discography I only knew half of one album from. Now I'm back to having 1 album per group for the most part, unless I'm completely obsessed with the group.
J. said:
I also don't understand people who accidentally buy an album twice, because they don't know what they own. Man, I'm at work and bet I could name over 90% of my 583 CDs with no problem.
As opposed to you who buys albums twice because you sold your first copy. I KEED I KEED!!! :dopey:

One Inch Man said:
As opposed to you who buys albums twice because you sold your first copy. I KEED I KEED!!! :dopey:

Bah, totally different. I know what I own, instead of some people who have no clue whether or not they own an album.

JayKeeley said:
By the way, I have four words for thrash metal today:

EXIT TO MOTHERFUCKING ETERNITY.

:kickass: :heh: :kickass:
Every time I said "thrash is dead" my first thought was them. Because damn do they rule.

JayKeeley said:
That's right, bitch. I wipe my arse on your Hatebreed and Rwake.
Oh FUCK those two groups, BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARF.

Rwake - Before You Shit You Learn To Crawl Into Your Own Spooge = WORST FUCKING ALBUM EVER. :ill:

I know, but I had to make sure everyone else knew my displeasure.

The only reason I gave Rwake a 2/10 is because I'm still waiting for that album that makes me stab myself in the eye, hopefully I'll be able to type 1/10 and upload it before I get croaked. :zombie:

Ugh Tully you are pulling me back in Baroque is a time period, but it corresponds to a distinct form of classical music.