how Ron creates his soundscapes

papaloidflook

New Metal Member
Apr 1, 2003
Hello fellow disciples of the spastic ones...
i am pretty wank on the guitar at the mo...im dying to be able to get those definitive clean metal sounds that our friend Ron manages to produce...
im looking to achieve the sounds in tunes like AT THE 7-11 for example...

so can anyone tell me how i can achieve this...what equipment do i need to use....pickups, FX pedals, amp, etc.....what settings.... which fx are being used during the song.......

or can anyone tell me the equipment and settings Ron used to get those sounds in albums like INKCOMPLETE,INKCOMPATIBLE,SSoTC etc

any info will be most appreciated as i am struggling to find any info on my own as i dont have enough knowledge to ask the right questions even...

cheerio people and good luck with whatever u r doing in ur life......

Believe it or not but all I've used for the last two CDs ("Ink Compatible" and "Solitarily Speaking..." amp-wise is a Johnson J-Station pod. It's very similar to the Line 6, but it's black. (I use the Line 6 live, with my old Mesa-Boogie Simul-Class 295 power amp.) The main setting on the J-Station that I use is of course the "Rectified". For clean stuff (electric) I mainly use a setting called "Brit Combo". For acoustic stuff I usually just plug the guitar stright into the Mackie mixer.

I use normal Seymour Duncan pickups on my guitars, which are all custom built.

Most of what happens after that is done on computer. I do all of my editing and fx with Sound Forge. I record the guitar signal as dry as possible, no chorus, and no reverb or echo at all. Sound Forge has a bunch of built-it fx and you can basically do whatever you want to, chorus, flange, phase, fade ins and outs, reverse, compressing, etc... And I probably should pick up lots of plug-ins.

I just recently picked up Pro-Tools. I used to record on ADAT, the transfer the audio via an optical PCI card, then be able to edit on computer. But now, I just use the ADAT when laying down rough parts and ideas. With computer recording you have to keep track of where every file is, it's specific name, take, what directory the master tracks are in, etc... with an ADAT tape, it's all right there as you recorded it.

On "Solitarily Speaking..." I used a program called Cakewalk Home Studio 2000 to put the tracks together (multi-track mixing), which is a very basic version of Pro-Tools. One drag about the Cakewalk program is it makes a copy of all tracks that you are using, instead of using the track itself. When recording a full album, that ends up taking lots of space on your hard drive. But other than that, it's very cool.

So there you go guys, happy recording!

Ron

P.S. Did I miss anything??

hey ron.

i have cubase vst and cubase sx. let me know if you want to check out those programs. i'll probably get sonar pretty soon too, when i finish building my new computer (for some reason sonar's minimum requirements are pretty steep, whereas cubase vst runs fine on my old penium II; cubase sx slows it to crawl sometimes though). don't know if you still do animations but i have some cool animation programs (lightwave, truespace, poser, alot of cool stuff) you can try if you want. e-mail if you're interested.

josephv@trophycraft.net

ronjarz said:
Believe it or not but all I've used for the last two CDs ("Ink Compatible" and "Solitarily Speaking..." amp-wise is a Johnson J-Station pod. It's very similar to the Line 6, but it's black. (I use the Line 6 live, with my old Mesa-Boogie Simul-Class 295 power amp.) The main setting on the J-Station that I use is of course the "Rectified". For clean stuff (electric) I mainly use a setting called "Brit Combo". For acoustic stuff I usually just plug the guitar stright into the Mackie mixer.

I use normal Seymour Duncan pickups on my guitars, which are all custom built.

Most of what happens after that is done on computer. I do all of my editing and fx with Sound Forge. I record the guitar signal as dry as possible, no chorus, and no reverb or echo at all. Sound Forge has a bunch of built-it fx and you can basically do whatever you want to, chorus, flange, phase, fade ins and outs, reverse, compressing, etc... And I probably should pick up lots of plug-ins.

I just recently picked up Pro-Tools. I used to record on ADAT, the transfer the audio via an optical PCI card, then be able to edit on computer. But now, I just use the ADAT when laying down rough parts and ideas. With computer recording you have to keep track of where every file is, it's specific name, take, what directory the master tracks are in, etc... with an ADAT tape, it's all right there as you recorded it.

On "Solitarily Speaking..." I used a program called Cakewalk Home Studio 2000 to put the tracks together (multi-track mixing), which is a very basic version of Pro-Tools. One drag about the Cakewalk program is it makes a copy of all tracks that you are using, instead of using the track itself. When recording a full album, that ends up taking lots of space on your hard drive. But other than that, it's very cool.

So there you go guys, happy recording!

Ron

P.S. Did I miss anything??

Has this changed Ron?