How to convert a metal newbie thread

Calling Venom image over substance is ridiculous when you consider that Bathory's ENTIRE SCHTICK is one of making up an image. Venom are straight-forward dudes; playing the rockstar angle when you're something of an underground rockstar is not being a poser. Denying all of your influences for the purpose of looking more creative/innovative to shallow dupes is the essence of being a poser. Quorthon was a hack.

Yes actually. Burzum (and for the most part, Bathory) are absolutely otherworldly, transcendent music.

I would rather listen to those than whatever obscure, scum-tier thrash HB fellates.

What obscure thrash are you even talking about? Most of my favorites are relatively well-known and respected (Coroner, Anacrusis, Watchtower, and Exodus being my favs).

And how in the fuck is doing interviews a sign of poserdom? Nevermind that Quorthon did plenty and talked absolute bullshit in most of them; talking about yourself, your vision, and your art is honesty. Skirting around that and using mystique/lies to make you look more interesting than you really are (see: Norwegian and French black metal) is the height of poserdom.

Calling Venom image over substance is ridiculous when you consider that Bathory's ENTIRE SCHTICK is one of making up an image. Venom are straight-forward dudes; playing the rockstar angle when you're something of an underground rockstar is not being a poser. Denying all of your influences for the purpose of looking more creative/innovative to shallow dupes is the essence of being a poser. Quorthon was a hack.

I remember posting Whirler of Fate in the other thread and you were interested in it because of the "epic death metal" tag, wondering if the music is epic too, not just the lyrics. I understand you consider "epic" a quality you go for in music then.

Do you at least admit that Bathory is epic and that it might the quality metalnerds love in Quorthon's music?

Excluding the first two and some of his later thrashy material, sure, of course it falls into the epic metal category. I just don't think that it's of particularly high quality or note compared to what you can find in lots of trad, power, and epic doom of the 80s. I do really like A Fine Day to Die, but then there's the near-entirety of Hammerheart which is such a massive drag. To be fair, I do think he showed greater honestly as he got older and found something of a comfort zone.

btw, I did check out Whirler of Fate and I'm undecided right now. I like the lyrics and different vocal styles used for the characters, but instrumentally it seemed borderline. I'll definitely give it more listens in the future.

btw, I did check out Whirler of Fate and I'm undecided right now. I like the lyrics and different vocal styles used for the characters, but instrumentally it seemed borderline. I'll definitely give it more listens in the future.

It's a thing of heart for me. Not many people still listen to it imo. Andy V.V.V. likes the album a lot too, but Dodens for example says that I have a problem and that the album deserves to be listened to about once in two years. :oops:

Do you like Dark Millennium's Ashore the Celestial Burden? To me that album is undefeated in epic-oriented extreme metal, even though I don't even think of it as a death metal album so much.

Do you like Dark Millennium's Ashore the Celestial Burden? To me that album is undefeated in epic-oriented extreme metal, even though I don't even think of it as a death metal album so much.

Yeah that's a cool album. I don't think I've ever heard the second one. :erk:

EDIT: Same as I've never heard the second Phlebotomized album.

Second one isn't nearly as good, although I probably hold it to an unfair standard. It's kind of more progressive and a lot less heavy, with increased emphasis on interlude parts. Has its moments but compared to the first, eh. Can't stand the second Phlebotomized album; it's like alternative guitar-shred metal or something, tastelessly flashy with stupid experimentation and sterile production.

If someone just listens stuff with modern production than a lot of classic metal might not sound that great to them early on.

Second one isn't nearly as good, although I probably hold it to an unfair standard. It's kind of more progressive and a lot less heavy, with increased emphasis on interlude parts. Has its moments but compared to the first, eh. Can't stand the second Phlebotomized album; it's like alternative guitar-shred metal or something, tastelessly flashy with stupid experimentation and sterile production.

And you don't like the first one either?

No, I like Immense Intense Suspense a lot. The second one hardly even sounds like the same band.