how to do screaming?

guitar_god123456

guitarist
Aug 21, 2007
hey guys! i'm new to this forum. I've just started this band and i've written some awesome lyrics and awesome riffs. But can someone give me advice on how to start screaming please? btw, huge fan of children of bodom:headbang:

Use the diaphragm rather than your throat, or else you'll fuck up your voice. I have been told whiskey and coffee might give some raspiness to your voice if used regurarly (also tobacco too, but I wouldn't recommend smoking to anyone).

Btw, in the future all threads not related to Cob should go to the Off-Topic section.

Use the diaphragm rather than your throat, or else you'll fuck up your voice. I have been told whiskey and coffee might give some raspiness to your voice if used regurarly (also tobacco too, but I wouldn't recommend smoking to anyone).

Btw, in the future all threads not related to Cob should go to the Off-Topic section.

thanks for the advice man. btw, im insanely thick, so i don't know what the diaphragm is :lol: also, i was kinda aiming for alexi style vocals.

Use the diaphragm rather than your throat, or else you'll fuck up your voice.
Absolutely correct.

I have been told whiskey and coffee might give some raspiness to your voice if used regurarly (also tobacco too, but I wouldn't recommend smoking to anyone).
Smoke and some drinks should be avoided, and not only for one's health but for singing too.

thanks for the advice again. So do i tense my diaphragm up, and sing without trying to make my throat growl, or does there need to be a little bit of growl somewhere in my throat? Sorry, this is the first time i've tried it, and I don't wanna fuck it up.

hey guys! i'm new to this forum. I've just started this band and i've written some awesome lyrics and awesome riffs. But can someone give me advice on how to start screaming please? btw, huge fan of children of bodom:headbang:

00105643.detail.a.jpg

I use my throat to give the growl a bit of a tough sound, but I mainly use my diaphragm.
However, I don't know how to do alexi screams without hurting my throat :p

Practice, practice, practice, and a shitload of practice.

Alexi's vocal style is the easiest to do (for me anyways). I always just sang along to Bodom songs using only the words "Yow," until I learned how to accentuate the words correctly. Then I perfected my own vocal style (a bit of a mix between bay area thrash and norweigian black metal) which I use for my band. Beer, soda, or almost any sugary substance helps a lot.

Oh...and practice in a car or where there's absolutely NO ONE around. I've scared more than a few people. :lol:

If it's that "core" or "scene" scream sound ye're after, I personally find after drinking heavily, a forced dry-heave (fingers down throat for the fucking ignorant ingrates) always produces spot-on results! :)

Practice, practice, practice, and a shitload of practice.

Oh...and practice in a car or where there's absolutely NO ONE around. I've scared more than a few people. :lol:

Me too, only I do it to Stuff like Scissor Sisters.

If it's that "core" or "scene" scream sound ye're after, I personally find after drinking heavily, a forced dry-heave (fingers down throat for the fucking ignorant ingrates) always produces spot-on results! :)

Also drink plenty of coolers!