How to get this effect (orchestral snare)

schwinginbatman

It's shittay!
May 14, 2009
Kansas
One of my bands is recording an EP, and the beginning section of one of the songs requires a part with what is a marching snare type sound (basically like the opening of The Struggle Within), and I just can't figure out how to get that sound, at least with samples. What would be the best method to do this with samples? Get a fuckton of multi samples and stack them on each other? This is a silly question, but I've been trying for a while, and just can't get a result that satisfies me.

Play it live, multiple takes, don't sequence/quantize - loosen the snares a little more. Think drumline rather than single drummer.

You can do multiple takes if you are recording a drummer. If not, drum software will easily work. I only have superior drummer, but I'm sure a lot of other programs will work the same. Open a new instance, start adding x instruments, and route them through all overhead mics. You can map them all to the same key, but I would recommend using a separate unique midi file that has small variations (if you have a keyboard, or a midi pad, do multiple takes).

I sometimes run a separate instance of stock ezdrummer one and get the velocities right, making sure the accents and cracks are right.

Other times you can just use low velocity settings on your regular samples, or best still use a real snare. For The Struggle Within's sound in particular you'll probably want a nice room sound/impulse/sample.