How to make your own Isolation Shield with $50 or less.

Tommy Evans

Jul 19, 2011
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Had a few peeps ask me to put together a How-To thread about making your very own inexpensive Iso Shield.

Long story short, I was at Guitar Center trying to find something to buy (was bored and had a little bit of cash on me) and I came across one of those Iso vocal shields and thought to myself, "Self, that would be sick to put behind a mic and record some sikk voxx!" then I saw the $100 pricetag it came with and was instantly turned off. Not cuz I didnt have $100, but because this idea/contraption is not worth that much. So I took it upon myself to make my own for as cheap as I could. I did. it ended up being about $40 bucks and it was easily three times the size of the one for sale at GC. (this is in no way a GC bash thread btw, love it, but lots of things are way over priced there) Since then I have made a 2nd one which I have taken pics of for this particular thread

Here it is (in all it's glory):
sGH3Vl.jpg

I put some strings in it and put some hooks in my wall to hang it up where I track vocals.

THINGS YOU'LL NEED: Some Auralex Foam. I got a panel of it from GC the first time, it cost me $26.99. The second time it cost me $33.99 (-___-) I guess Auralex charges whatever they want depending on the weather or some shit. You'll also need some String for tying it up. This little spool you see in the pic below cost me about $3 at a local home improvement store (Lowe's) . But there also spools that cost less than a dollar there. I also bought some Gorilla Glue for $3.99 and a Tri-Fold (tri-fold is important) poster board from Walmart for $2.97. However, I ditched the glue this time around in favor of some Industrial Strength Sticky Back Velcro. I had some (about 20 feet worth) lying around that I prolly paid $20 bucks for some years ago. Here is what your supplies look like:
MTvmWl.jpg

Step One: You apply some of the sticky back velcro to the corners and middle of the Auralex Foam and stick it evenly onto the Tri-Fold poster board. (Or if you like glue better, {even better yet, Auralex makes its own glue but I've never messed with it, try it out sometime I'm sure it works great} glue it onto the poster board) so it looks like this:
n98iil.jpg

Step Two: Cut off the excess poster board but be sure to leave a couple inches for string if you want to hang it up eventually. Here's a pic with what I've got at this point:
E4rfPl.jpg

I poked holes in the top part and shoved some string up in there and I will clean up the rough edges later on.

Final product should look something like this:
GrQUfl.jpg

And here's a few ideas you might try out with these things:

qUhfxl.jpg

lYPmzl.jpg

7hCGTl.jpg

NMjSYl.jpg

Hope everyone understood and enjoyed this 'How-To'. I'm sure I'm not the only one making my own Iso Shields but this is for those who are interested in doing it either for the first time or trying new/different way of making them. Or just trying to be cheap bastards :D. They work great and are MUCH more cost efficient than some sold at music stores. Questions? comments? Reply below.

Thanks for posting, I'm gonna have a go a pair of these for drum overheads.

Also, it'd be a little neater if you post each photo under each stage instead of putting up a gallery. To do so, just right-click each file, go 'copy public link' then you've got your URL.

Also, Auralex foam in the UK looks to be about 4x what you get it for in the US, can anybody recommend any alternatives in the UK/EU?

Some proper sound insulation like OC703/705 or Roxul Safe N Sound / rockwool would be a much better alternative to the overpriced auralex foam.

Gonna build my own vocal shield this week, except I'm using 1" Roxul RHT40, which I'll probably cut in half, attach each piece to a thin sheet of wood and then attach each together with a hinge. Only issue I'm having right now is how the hell I'm going to attach it to the mic stand, or at least get it that high, without having to sit it on a guitar cab or something... :(

Haven't tried what you did, but I have built a vocalbooth in my livingroom.. door and all..
Instead of buying expensive dampening foam from a musicstore, I found a lot cheaper foam at a carstore..
This:
fEFyY.jpg

It works great.. it's for carspeakers, the measurements: 40 x 60 x 2 cm.. and it's 5 of those pieces for 10$..
Covered my booth in it (still have a few places to cover at the floor), and I have no issues.. (yes, I've had experience with expensive foam)

Gonna build my own vocal shield this week, except I'm using 1" Roxul RHT40, which I'll probably cut in half, attach each piece to a thin sheet of wood and then attach each together with a hinge. Only issue I'm having right now is how the hell I'm going to attach it to the mic stand, or at least get it that high, without having to sit it on a guitar cab or something... :(

You could build a stand for it, or drill holes and hang it on sturdy hooks with some string wire.