How to tell a band that you don't want to record them?

Hey,

I've got many inquiries of bands these days, but most of them are definitely not good enough. I mean, I guess that sounds arrogant but I just don't want to work with them if I'm knowing in advance that I would never be satisfied with the record in the end. How do you deal with those inquiries? Do you just ignore their message or do you tell them you have no time? I definitely need a good way to say no to them, cause I don't want to get a bad reputation in the end.

I like Jeff's approach. Just be honest and politely say that you are not totally into their music and if you would work together you would probably just try to drink myself to death every night, and working when hangover just makes terrible end product.

Do like Mutt Lange's management did when a friends very successful band was asking through their management about Mutt producing their next album in the early 90's.

The response was literally...
"Sorry, Mutt Lange is booked for all eternity" - click.

Do like Mutt Lange's management did when a friends very successful band was asking through their management about Mutt producing their next album in the early 90's.

The response was literally...
"Sorry, Mutt Lange is booked for all eternity" - click.

haha, for mutt lange id actually believe that ;-)
for the op though it would probably seem sarcastic.

just be honest. not responding is super bad.
i think the best way is stating that its just not your music, and recommend someone else to do the job.

playing the "im too expensive card" works for david bendeth,
but i dont think its good to sound arrogant in this business (unless your bendeth of course!). but to each their own.

I think there's something to be said for being up front and honest with people. My personal ethos is to avoid playing games as much as possible. If I can't 'get' their music, or it's obvious that they aren't ready to record, I simply tell them that either I'm the wrong person for the job, or that they will just be wasting money on hiring me, especially if their best benefits are yet to be gained simply by refining their song writing/arrangement/performance etc. etc.

I wouldn't recommend blowing people off or telling them you're too pricey for them, because whether they suck or not doesn't really coincide with how much money they or their parents have on tap.

I like the idea of being upfront and maybe suggesting in a polite way that they find someone else who would better suit their needs at their current level. I see no point in lying to people, because what if they have some friends who are 10x better and when word gets out that you're "tied up for 12months", they'll go elsewhere.. effectively shooting yourself in the foot for no reason. Even better yet, I'm sure you guys know tons of people that are just getting started with recording/mixing etc etc.. and need the experience, so be a pal and point them their way.

Honesty is the best policy when dealing with potential customers regardless of the business. If you are not interested in recording them, tell them just that - no need to sugar coat it, no need to make excuses, it's just not a good match - I'm sure they would rather know that than knowing nothing at all. Like Midget said earlier - you never want a customer or someone that interacts with a potential customer to think you are blowing smoke up their ass because perception is become reality when enough people repeat their dissatisfaction with you. If your honest, possibly suggest another studio, and if they ask for the reason, tell them an honest answer why - it might light a fire under their ass to get better. Don't close the door for future efforts, just this particular time.

I can't really add much to this. All this is good advice.
I don't really tend to turn down projects unless they are awful and need practice. If I have time for them, I don't tend to give up a chance to screw around with someone elses music for my own ammusement.
But if they're just too bad to get anything good out of it just tell them they need to spend more time developing their sound.

On the flip side. You could totally take advantage of them and charge them money to do a half ass job as long as you're sure it won't come back to you in the end. Haha