How to use the "Sneap C4"

cundalini

New Metal Member
Jan 25, 2009
So exactly how/where are you guys using this? I'm not sure as to where this goes in the chain? All my guitar tracks pretty much consist of Gate, TSS, Wagner, CurveEQ, Boogex, and maybe an EQ in there somewhere. So where should I be putting the "Sneap C4" in the chain?

Put it before EQ in the guitar chain, probably first in all honesty. You should only be using it if the mix needs it, though - use it to pin down the low mids of the guitars if they're out of control.

I put it last in my guitar chain. I'll setup my core tone exactly as I want it and then put on the C4 once I'm building the mix.

I heard alot abut Andy's C4 but I can't find the original thread. Could someone point me into the right direction? I tried to search but it doesn't come up with anything.

Well, apparently my sarcasm has not been properly sensed. For anyone else who didn't get it, yes, Andy's C4 preset exists. I threw that out there because it seems that there is a constant, endless stream of newbies who come along to these forums whose minds are fixated on Andy's "magical" C4 preset, much like moths fixated on a stupid lightbulb- you can keep smashing into the lightbulb, but it's probably only making you dumber. I just wish that people would realize that the C4 preset is going to have such a small effect on your tone compared to what you might envision, that it is hardly worth even asking about. Every time someone comes along talking about the C4 preset, I am forced to think of how many people are out there in the world, using the C4 preset on their pirated Waves Diamond bundle, who don't need it and have no clue why they even use it all the time, except for the fact that it's Andy's preset. Does this frustrate anyone else?

I will type this ONE time myself, despite the fact that dozens of others have already typed this before me on these forums: the preset is a good starting point for you, only if you have guitar tracks recorded that are a little too woofy sounding in the low-mids during palm mutes. If your guitar tone does not suffer from woofy mutes, then PLEASE DO NOT even think about Andy's C4 preset, it is not for you, and it will not make your guitars sound any better than they already do- NO BETTER WHATSOEVER.

:yuk:

FWIW I got into the habit and use the C4 on almost 100% of rhythm guitar tracks. It retains low-end body without whoomping out on the midbass freqs whenever there is a chug. It's a good way to control the low without sucking it out permanently... because all cabs/rooms suffer from these low-end nodes to some degree. I also use it on bass about 50% of the time to tighten midbass if it's out of control.

FWIW I got into the habit and use the C4 on almost 100% of rhythm guitar tracks. It retains low-end body without whoomping out on the midbass freqs whenever there is a chug. It's a good way to control the low without sucking it out permanently... because all cabs/rooms suffer from these low-end nodes to some degree. I also use it on bass about 50% of the time to tighten midbass if it's out of control.

+1

Well, apparently my sarcasm has not been properly sensed. For anyone else who didn't get it, yes, Andy's C4 preset exists. I threw that out there because it seems that there is a constant, endless stream of newbies who come along to these forums whose minds are fixated on Andy's "magical" C4 preset, much like moths fixated on a stupid lightbulb- you can keep smashing into the lightbulb, but it's probably only making you dumber. I just wish that people would realize that the C4 preset is going to have such a small effect on your tone compared to what you might envision, that it is hardly worth even asking about. Every time someone comes along talking about the C4 preset, I am forced to think of how many people are out there in the world, using the C4 preset on their pirated Waves Diamond bundle, who don't need it and have no clue why they even use it all the time, except for the fact that it's Andy's preset. Does this frustrate anyone else?

I will type this ONE time myself, despite the fact that dozens of others have already typed this before me on these forums: the preset is a good starting point for you, only if you have guitar tracks recorded that are a little too woofy sounding in the low-mids during palm mutes. If your guitar tone does not suffer from woofy mutes, then PLEASE DO NOT even think about Andy's C4 preset, it is not for you, and it will not make your guitars sound any better than they already do- NO BETTER WHATSOEVER.

+infinity

I understand and agree 100%.

And I just posted the link because the guy asked for it. Give it to my insufficient forum skills :)

andy himself said that his c4 settings are 100% related to a CERTAIN mix. you should try to judge by ear what settings are good for you mix.
@ermz, but this could be due to the fact that by chance you nailed the way andy does his guitar sound most of the time and that's why it is working for YOU.

:kickass::kickass:

I dunno Aaron, I can't see why it bothers you so much - after all, if they don't learn, then their end products (the tonez) won't improve, which means there will be that many less people you have to worry about stealing potential clients from you! :D

after all, if they don't learn, then their end products (the tonez) won't improve, which means there will be that many less people you have to worry about stealing potential clients from you! :D

True, but I think his point was more or less that people act like the preset is some sort of holy grail and it gets irritating. Maybe I am wrong though.