How to use the "Sneap C4"

So I take it you yourself have taken the preset from this forum and used it?

So what's the problem?

I don't think you are getting what Aaron was getting at. I think Aaron, like most of us, read into the OP's post that he was looking for a quick fix, and wanted the preset for no more than this, rather than using it as a reference or starting point for taming some low mids, and KNOWING when and if such taming is needed (vs. slapping on a preset for "Instant Andy tone"). He just wanted to know "where it goes in the chain" without wanting to know why or how or if it was needed in the first place.

If someone was truly interested in the how and why one would resort to MB compression on guitar tracks, much like what Andy does, I'd hesitate to say that anyone that a.) wasn't a noob, or b.) put any thought into it would just clamor an answer as to where it goes.

Add all that to the fact that at that time there were a lot of people joining up to ask for presets, and I think you get a sense for the veiled frustration on the part of many of the dudes on here who replied when this thread started.

Nobody needs the pic to be re uploaded. Here is the gist of the idea:

The c4 settings were meant to tame low end woof in the guitars between 80 and 250hz (IIRC) usually that happens on chugs. Since every guitar track on the planet is unique applying Andy's C4 preset is worthless. Use your ears.

Seriously presets for compressors and eqs are stupid.

Nobody needs the pic to be re uploaded. Here is the gist of the idea:

The c4 settings were meant to tame low end woof in the guitars between 80 and 250hz (IIRC) usually that happens on chugs. Since every guitar track on the planet is unique applying Andy's C4 preset is worthless. Use your ears.

Seriously presets for compressors and eqs are stupid.

+1

I just posted the link because the noobs might want it, even though I am a noob :D

Its just obvious that it will only work for Andy's own guitar sound, its not a magic settings :lol:

presets are always good starting points to train noobs (like myself) what to look for and how to use different stages of processing.
Eg. I can use my ears all day.....and know what I want to change, but still need help on how to implement.

Thanks for the link!

presets are always good starting points to train noobs (like myself) what to look for and how to use different stages of processing.
Eg. I can use my ears all day.....and know what I want to change, but still need help on how to implement.

Thanks for the link!

What I do to get my ears used to a new plugin/whatever new gear I got, is that I create a small project with the, for example, compressor preset set ON at the beginning of the session on your [guitar/master bus/whatever], I either use a preset or set it a certain way, I record/do a quick mix with the plugin still on, and when I'm "satisfied" with my mix, I flick it off to "see" what it exactly does, and only then I start turning the knobs to get a feel of what that plugin can do. You don't touch it at all when you're tracking.

I guess you could make it the other way around, but I find it works more for me this way.

Just my two cents

just had another look at the c4's default settings; and that is where the attack and release is on the magic sneap preset, as well as the release behaviour and knee... funny stuff.
Anyhow, here's the sort of thing that NEEDS that sort of processing

Screen%20shot%202010-04-16%20at%2012.42.25.png

It sounds more drastic than it looks, but those chugs made the speakers go whump all over the mix.
can't have that.