Hows my Swedish?

Lord Vengeance

Lord Vengeance
Jun 10, 2006
Barberton,Ohio USA
myspace.com
because of Mr. V's kind use of the english language on many occasions;i felt that some of us in the english speaking music world should return the favor and do some lyrics in Swedish.I do not know anyone (other than my dead grandparents) who speak it.so i had to use an online translator and figure out pronunciations from what i could gather by listening to vintersorg and otyg.So please tell me how my enuciation is...if im way off let me know.I want to do the language justice,and not butcher it.

so if you speak it,tell me where im wrong,i will very much appretiate it. I have the sample here http://myspace.com/sssupremacy
the song is the last sample called haunted halls.and hopefullly...you will be able to tell when im using swedish lol.

and sorry about to poor quality,there is a 10mb limit on file size so we had to lower the bitrate to make it fit.not to mention everything was recorded live with vocals overdubbed using a free headset mic that came with my pre-order Battlefield 2 video game.

Nice music, me likes! Especially the use of the clean vocals (which are great), would be nice to hear more of them.

Though, I'm afraid I can't make out what you are singing in Swedish. The quality of the clip, the background music and the probably less than perfect pronounciation makes it difficult (but then again, I can't make out much of what Mr V sings on the Otyg demos either).

If you could show the lyrics it would be much easier to discern any pronounciation misstakes. :)

Man, that first song. It's brilliant, awesome quality too!

Reminds me alot of Heresi.. Check them out if you don't know them :)

As for the the song in Swedish, I couldn't even tell if it was in English let alone Swedish heh, like amf said, background music, and ALOT of reverb :D

edit: oh, just found it^^

edit²: oh, the songs nice. very original, reminds me of slayer when the main riff comes up. but the clean parts fit well into the song and act upon really "refreshing". anyways. the vocals are awesome, although I cannot understand anything at all.

I'm not sure what the Swedish is that he's saying but he has it writ down. The part in question is the vocals right after the "footsteps" sample about halfway through "Haunted Halls". It is supposed to be a direct or near direct translation of the clean English I am singing at the same time which is:

"Manipulate time and space...searching for an answer
Commit myself to my own fate...a means to an end"

hark the horn of odin moans its call above the waves
feel the lochs cold tears,as she rears from the oars
inhale frostbitten shadows,that rise from our bones
see the ghosts of olden part the mist for this war

longboats strike the shore,berzerkers scream...into battle they will roar
vahal on high...ginnungagap below
here in Niflheim there is a stream called hvergelmir,from which the elivagar flows
here we make our stand upon the ice..final fimbulvetr,on this fjord..i stare down surt on my own
svol,gunnthra,fiorm,fimbulthul,slidr,hrid,sylg,ylg,vid,leiptr,and gioll

realm whince the dead are calling..Hel i hear your whispers
goddess of the underworld,my will forever unbroken..surrender your wiles for those disgraced...for i am the storm

yggdrasill eternal omnipresence
its branches extend though the known worlds
asgard realm of the gods,thor's thurdheim
fortress surrounded by forests
jotunheim home of the giants
frost,storm and earth hold dominion
bifrost the rainbow bridge..guiding stars
so that the warriors can find home

now in the pale,seen only by those at dawn..feilds lie sober as fallen men wait
silent in slumber granted by cold steal,those left not a tear for the lake
now in the light seen only by those that dawn..fields lie somber as fallen men wait
will the valkyries come take them home..to these haunted halls

manipulate time and space,searching for an answer
(hantera all av natur,forskande for en svar)
commit myself to my own fate,a means to an end
(forova mig sjalv till min aga ode,en medel till en slut)

now the fires burn as fortold by the seer
thousand men shall fall,for the true one norse king
as the smoke arose,the crown lay in ash
krigare raise their ale and laugh at deaths reign

no honor left in vain upon that shore,as we watch it fade away
into the stories told by our old
still i have to face those grieving kin,that werent there to see the day
thier love ensured a place in the hall
on this voyage home,i see my countrymens image form
in the mist thier voices alive
i await the day i can join their beckoned call,and take my place at thier side

sorry...i should have specified that only some lyrics where in swedish.im working up to a whole song in swedish.its a fantastic language.and all the help is great.

::::crosses finger:::: mabey Mr V will give me pointers toooooo

manipulate time and space,searching for an answer
(hantera all av natur,forskande for en svar)
Hantera all av natur translated back to English would mean Handling all of nature. I'm guessing time and space somehow got translated into all of nature.
Forskande does means searching, but in the way a scientist search for answers. Forskare means scientist, so forskande kind of means scientisting. I'd say sökande(s) is better fitting for the lyrics.

My suggestion for this line:

Manipulera tid och rum, sökandes ett svar

commit myself to my own fate,a means to an end
(forova mig sjalv till min aga ode,en medel till en slut)
Föröva means commit, but in the way you commit a crime. Commit with the meaning of devoting oneself would be hänge or hängiva.
Äga means own, but in the meaning of ownership. To own a house = Att äga ett hus. My own house = Mitt eget hus.
So in this case, the proper translation of own would be eget.

My suggestion for this line:

Hänge mig åt mitt eget öde, ett medel för ett slut

And as you might notice, the en's have been changed for ett's. Works kind of like a and an in English, but with other (more complicated) rules that decide when which are used.

On to pronunciation.

R's are pronunced with the tip of the tounge. Like mexicans, you know. Burrrrritos, but perhaps a little less distinct. If you listen to Vintersorg or Otyg you should get the idea.
Except if the R is followed by a consonant, for example svärd. In these cases the R is silent, pretty much like an English R.

A little guide for those two lines. Though not perfect. And my rudimentary knowledge in English pronunciation might be playing tricks on me. :)

Manipulera Mah-nee-puh-leh-rah,
tid och rum teed ock rum
sökandes sö-kaan-des (The ö pronunced kind of like the ea in earth)
ett svar ett svaar

Hänge mig åt Han-ye meeg* åt (The å pronucned kind of like the a in all)
mitt eget öde mitt eh-get ö-deh
ett medel ett meh-del
för ett slut för ett sluut

*Could also be pronunced "may".

Edit: The last "slut" could be changed for "ändamål" if you want to remind of "the end justifies the means", which is "ändamålet helgar medlen" in Swedish.

AMF...you rock..and i will make corrections.little did i realize that swedish had certain words for certain circumstances.unlike english where one word could be used for many instances.i have alot to learn.

thanks again

Lord Vengeance said:
little did i realize that swedish had certain words for certain circumstances.unlike english where one word could be used for many instances.
Well, not really. It's the same in both languages. For example the Swedish word "knapp" can mean both "button" and "scarce" (Just as "commit" can be both "föröva" and "hänge"), but you can't say "button" in English and mean insufficient. So both languages have words with several meanings. :)

Lord Vengeance said:
thanks again
No problem at all!

Lord Vengeance said:
AMF...you rock..and i will make corrections.little did i realize that swedish had certain words for certain circumstances.unlike english where one word could be used for many instances.i have alot to learn.

thanks again

Ehehe Amf rocks the world, he is great with his mother tongue :kickass: , I know it for sure :) you can trust him when speaking about Svensk :cool:

Mantis said:
I thought you would use "svenska" for phrases like "svenska tunga" not when it is alone :? Amf help us :)
Hehehe... Time for an amazingly interesting lesson in Swedish grammar then... :p

Names of languages are spelled with the a at the end in most cases. Svenska, engelska, italienska. As opposed to Norwegian, where the ending a is absent.

To designate the nationallity of a thing, the ending a is used in plural, and without the a for singular. So it would be "svensk tunga" (as tunga is singular).

Though, if you want to use "tunga" with the meaning of language, you might want to use the word "tungomål" instead. This word is the same in both plural and singular, but you still use the a suffix only for plural. So in plural "svenska tungomål", and in singular "svenskt tungomål" (the t suffix because tungomål is in neutrum).
:)

So amf, was Mantis right when he wrote "svensk" at the beginning or Lord Vengeance writing "svenska"? It's not so clear for me:loco:

Jag talar svenska = I speak Swedish..

Svenska is the language form.

Svensk/svenska/svenskt are still used to "describe" certain things in a certain way, though when talking about specifically speaking Swedish as a language, it's always "svenska".