How's the albums holding up for everyone?

mrthrax

riffer madness
Feb 17, 2002
australia
Visit site
ive pretty much been playing in the car to and from work almost everyday,I'd have the say the only tracks I prob skip would be zero tolerance and suzerain,it's more the intro to zero tolerance that I'm not fond of,once it gets into it it's quite a good song,really loves the usual favourites but I am really digging this battle chose us,some really rocking riffs in that one,all of them thieves is also a track that's buried somewhat but I'm really digging at the moment,my favourite track on the album would still have to be breathing lightning,it's got that feel of a song that's the result of years and years of writing songs and the perfect one that sets the tone of the band after all these years,interested to hear what people thoughts are now the dust has settled lol

I honestly haven't cared about any Anthrax album since Sound of White Noise; which I've always felt was their most consistently good album overally, despite the stylistic change, and I also never particularly cared for Joey. I happened to love John Bush in Armored Saint, and thought he was a better fit than Joey in Anthrax. That's not to say Joey bothered me--I actually always thought he was a great vocalist--I just never thought his vocals typically fit the music they were writing back then until Persistence of Time. I didn't care for Worship Music at all, and I didn't have high expectations for For All Kings, and almost ignored it entirely.

Oh boy, sometimes it feels great to be so entirely wrong about something. I think this is an absolutely fantastic Anthrax album. Probably my second favorite overall now. I don't know if it's just age slowing him down, production or studio tricks, but I think Joey sounds really good here, even on the thrashier tracks. I can't say whether or not Bush would have sounded as good or better, but it doesn't matter. I really like how Joey sounds here. A lot.

Opinions seem to vary wildly on what is considered "filler" on this album, but so far my favorites are:

1. Suzerian
2. Blood Eagle Wings
3. Evil Twin
4. For All Kings
5. Monster at the End
6. Breathing Lightning

The only tracks that seem like filler to me (or at least nowhere as good as the rest) would be: You Gotta Believe, Defend Avenge (but it has its moments for sure) and Zero Tolerence.

On a side note, this album sounds less like "Anthrax" to me and more like Project Arcadia, or a heavier Tad Morose combined with Wolf.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrthrax
I listened to it for a week solid after it's release.

As I said in a different thread, it's not a bad album, and the music and vocals are solid; I just felt (then and now) that they don't gel and that really stopped me getting into it. And as such, the record is tucked away and will probably just gather dust.

Based on the rave reviews I'm clearly in the minority on this, and that's fine. We all have our opinions.

something like:
1. Zero Tolerance
2. Evil Twin
3. All Of Them Thieves
4. Monster At The End
5. Suzerain
6. You Gotta Believe
7. For All Kings
8. This Battle Chose Us
9. Breathing Lightning
10. Blood Eagle Wings
11. Defend Avenge

Listening to it right now :) At least once a day usually more. There are still two things I would change. The part where Joey sings Nothing is over didn't need to be done three times in a row ( although I've gotten used to it ). And when I'm listening to the battle chose us that's all I hear lol. This battle chose us this battle chose us battle battle battle battle! To many lol.When I'm listening to it I feel like those are the only lyrics, then I read them and discovered there are others lol. But this album is killer it has real staying power with me. I'll be listening to it for a long time! I think Jon did an absolute great job, he really put a lot of dynamics into his guitar work.

Neil Turbin kind of ruined the lyrics to "Monster at the End" for me in a mini review. He said something about not knowing why anyone would want to keep singing about underwear.

I swear Joey sounds a lot like a cross between Bruce Dickinson, Urban Breed and Lance King on this album. He might not be hitting as high of notes as in the past, but his voice just sounds way more powerful to me now.

Holds up extremely well 2 months in, it's an excellent album. One of Anthrax's best methinks. Many highlights - Monster, Lightining, Evil Twin, Zero Tolerance.

Even better than 'Worship Music' and I'd actually place it maybe 3rd in the pantheon of 'Thrax discs!

There are still two things I would change. The part where Joey sings Nothing is over didn't need to be done three times in a row ( although I've gotten used to it ). And when I'm listening to the battle chose us that's all I hear lol. This battle chose us this battle chose us battle battle battle battle! To many lol.When I'm listening to it I feel like those are the only lyrics, then I read them and discovered there are others lol.

Welcome to the songwriting style of Anthrax. They've been writing songs that overstay their welcome for over 30 years now. I've always thought they'd be better if they wrote shorter songs and cut the dead weight. I'd rather hear more short songs on any album over anything written to be 'epic' and while I know I'm not the only one, everybody's got their own tastes.

That nothing is over part has never bothered me before,I remember joey saying in an interview that there songs always had alit of lyrics, always crammed in

I almost hated the song. I thought wow way to ruin such a heavy riff. If he'd done it once ok. But damn, it just doesn't really fit to me. But I refuse to not like one of these songs so I forced myself to keep listening to it and now it doesn't really bother me. Maybe because that's the only way I can hear the song going now. But anyway I'm used to it and I like the song. Of course if I had my way....lol

If there are too many lyrics crammed in then he should do something about it. He's the singer not them. They don't know how to formulate vocals.

Scott
I almost hated the song. I thought wow way to ruin such a heavy riff. If he'd done it once ok. But damn, it just doesn't really fit to me. But I refuse to not like one of these songs so I forced myself to keep listening to it and now it doesn't really bother me. Maybe because that's the only way I can hear the song going now. But anyway I'm used to it and I like the song. Of course if I had my way....lol

If there are too many lyrics crammed in then he should do something about it. He's the singer not them. They don't know how to formulate vocals.
Scott does the lyrics,can't really argue with him

Holding up well. It's a great album. Even 2 songs which I didn't care for much have grown on me. Parts of Zero Tolerance still annoy the crap outta me (yet some parts are right up Gung Ho territory).

Blood Eagle Wings has really become a big one for me. Probably reinforced by that hellish video. Still think (much like Worship Music) the first half of the album is the stronger though.